Re: Unknown processes.

Quoting Christian Dysthe (cdysthe@bigfoot.com):
> Hi,
>
> after having been logged on my box for a while I have a lot of these processes
> running. I do not know where they come from (I am still a newbie), and I have
> the feeling they slow me down. What are these:
>
> 275 ttyp0    S      0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
> 7343 ttyp3    S      0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc

I just started mc in a few of my xterms, and here's the result:

32195  p0 S    0:00 mc
32197  pe S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32200  p9 S    0:00 mc
32202  pf S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32203  p8 S    0:00 mc
32205  q0 S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32206  pa S    0:00 mc
32208  q1 S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32209  pb S    0:00 mc
32211  q2 S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32212  pd S    0:00 mc
32214  q3 S    0:00 bash -rcfile .bashrc
32215  p4 R    0:00 ps ax
32216  p4 S    0:00 less

My .xsession starts up 14 xterms, and I run mc locally in a few of them,
and remote mc with ssh in several more. So I wouldn't worry. Having them
ready and waiting is far quicker for me than having to start them when
I already need them. (There are 90 processes running and I'm really in
my lunch break.)

Cheers,