Re: public_html directories not accessable outside of LAN

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 11:15:22PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> Is this problem on remote machines, or your local machines?
The change from dotted-quad to hostname with attempted domain
name completion occurs on all machines (LAN and Internet users).
It's only a problem outside the LAN, though, because my hostname
is known by the LAN, but not on the Internet.

> have the remote people tried putting http://xx.xx.xx.xx/~user
> instead of xx.xx.xx.xx/~user (IE 5 requires this).

Well, I don't have my winbox booted right now, but it doesn't
seem to make any difference in Netscape.  The dotted-quad gets
changed to the hostname when running netscape on the host
where the Apache server is running, even if entered with the
"http://";.

> Does it work locally?
As I said in the original post, the dotted-quad is changed to
the hostname for all clients, on the LAN or the Internet.
The LAN users are able to recognize the hostname, though, so
the LAN users can access users' public_html directories.

Thanks for the input...I'll try it again from IE 5.0 next time
I boot the winbox.

- --D

- --
David Karlin