Re: pppd (slink version) with kernel 2.2.X

Quoting Mario Olimpio de Menezes (mario@curiango.ipen.br):
> On 20 Sep 1999, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > damir writes:
> > > I'm running ppp 2.3.5-2 alongside the 2.2.10 kernel in slink environment.
> >
> > I'm in a mostly potato environment, but that shouldn't matter.
> >

> kernel docs says you must use ppp 2.3.8 at least (this is from memory).
> last night I tried slink version with 2.2.11 and couldn't connect. So I
> must remain with 2.0.36.

As a "client" (I know that's the wrong terminology), I agree with
damir, and I use a module.

BUT as a "server", i.e. an internet-connected box that I dial into,
the ARP won't work properly (it won't publish the fact that its
interface is accepting packets for the machines dialling in).

The only communications I receive about this ARP problem are
"Have you got it fixed yet?" so there are others out there
suffering. Me, I'll run 2.0.36 on just that box and see if the
problem goes away in Debian 2.2.

> This is annoying however, because I have to change, e.g., my printcap
> accordingly the kernel lpX.

When I ran both, I juggled them:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/rc.boot/printcap (OK, OK, I know...)
#
cp /etc/printcap-`/sbin/kernelversion` /etc/printcap
exit 0

Cheers,