Re: Callback

Quoting A. Barry (abarry@ksu.edu.sa):
> Hi, I am a new converter to linux os, ending the misery of windows os.
> I managed will till now to install debian linux and managed to have ppp
> work fine for some connections. My main isp requires a callback
> authentication
> to connect, and I could not fined any mention of callback in all the
> docs I have,
> including the HOW-TOs.

You need to look at the mgetty documentation. Effectively, callback
is something that is done by mgetty before ppp gets handed the
connection.

I've not managed to configure callback with pppconfig, but the easiest
approach seems to be to use pppconfig, pretending that you're not
using callback; then add the extra lines to /etc/chatscript/foo.
For example:

ABORT BUSY
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" ATZ
OK AT
OK ATDT01555555555
ogin:--ogin: \d\qsecret-word  )    <- after sending this, it hangs up.
RING ''                       )these are inserted
RING ''                       )after pppconfig.
RING ata                      )    <- my box answers the phone now.
ogin:--ogin: ''

Notes: Don't use ABORT "NO CARRIER" because that's a message
you'll receive when it deliberately hangs up.
       secret-word is a userid that makes my remote mgetty call
me back. Each secret chooses a different (selection of) number.
       Check your /etc/mgetty/login.config for the /AutoPPP/ line
which determines how mgetty behaves when it receives a call that
chucks PPP at it.

Cheers,