Re: motherboards

Goeman Stefan <Stefan.Goeman@siemens.atea.be> writes:

> Now, I am only running Windows98 on it (at home). I haven't come to
> the point of installing Linux on the PC. I have not even decided which
> Linux distro I should take. At work I am running Debian (potato) and
> I am getting to like it a lot ...
>
> My question is, can I install Debian on this machine? I also have an

there are floppy-linux versions (i.e. toms/rb: http://www.toms.net/rb/).
They are quite old, but maybe they can be used to see if your mainboard
works with linux.

As an alternative, try http://www.linuxhardware.net

> Ati Rage Fury Pro graphics card; so can expect problems with X?

ATI actively supports Xfree86-development by publishing the specifications
(and developing drivers, I believe). So you can count on good drivers
(especially 3d-accelerated) for your card.
I know ATI Rage is supported, but I think ..Pro might not yet be.
(make sure you get at least xfree86 3.3.6 or 4.0.1)
Check the newsgroup comp.os.linux.x: there are many postings concerning this.
Try looking on the ATI homepage or in the Xfree86 4.x-documentation on
http://www.xfree86.org.

--
Felix Natter