Re: disk usage for /usr/lib on bullseye

On Tue 02 May 2023 at 22:28:11 (+0800), Bret Busby wrote:
> On 2/5/23 20:23, Michel Verdier wrote:
> > Le 2 mai 2023 Bret Busby a écrit :
> >
> > > I expect that, by context, running
> > > apt purge
> > > without the restriction specifying particular package, will apply
> > > apt purge
> > > to all installed packages, according to what purge does, in relation to
> > > packages.
> >
> > But as "apt purge <package>" remove this package and remove configuration
> > for this package, I hope that "apt purge" will not remove "all installed
> > packages". Personnally I will not test it...
> >
> I believe that this is a case of a problem with having different
> primary languages (me, English, the above poster, French), with things
> getting "lost in translation".
>
> I did not mean that purge will remove all installed [packages]; as
> according to my last previous post in this thread (I think it was my
> last previous post - I am not sure);
> apt purge
> apparently removes obsolete configuration files (orphaned
> configuration files - that would have been associated with only
> packages that have been removed), and, so, where a particular package
> is specified as an argument to the command, all obsolete configuration
> files associated with the package, will be removed, and, where no
> package is specified as an argument to the command, all obsolete
> configuration files for "all installed packages", will be removed.

I just tried it. I removed bluez, which took out bluetooth, and left
the configuration files for bluez. It also listed nine packages that
are now ripe for autoremoval.

I then ran   apt purge   and it merely repeated the list of nine
packages. The bluez configuration files were still present.

You wrote:

 "I expect that, by context, running
  apt purge
  without the restriction specifying particular package, will apply
  apt purge
  to all installed packages, according to what purge does, in relation to
  packages."

which is as clear as mud to this English speaker. It would be easily
interpreted as:

  apt purge <list of all packages on the system>

Cheers,
David.