Re: Debian Webapps and PHP Policy Update

hey joey,

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 19:55 +0100, Joey Schulze wrote:
> below please find updates for the PHP Policy Draft and for the Webapps
> Policy Manual Draft.  I'd be glad if you could commit both.  Feel free
> to add my name to the authors listing.

thanks, i'll make some time to put these in in the next day or two.

> I've also taken the liberty to add both drafts and the db application
> draft to the list of policy manuals to <http://www.debian.org/devel/>
> since developers are searching for these documents and willing to use
> them already.  Their content should be sufficiently stabilised as
> well.  In case you don't like this, please let me know and I'll revert
> this.

i believe the webapps and dbapps have settled to the point where i don't
think any significant changes have been made. but i think giving the php
draft some more public exposure/scrutiny would be a good thing before
putting any kind of official stamp on it.

> The PHP Policy Draft has quite a lot XXX in it and hasn't been update
> for quite a while.  Is there no consens on the open issues?

i think most of the significant issues have been resolved, and there
were maybe a few superficial/cosmetic issues for which no consensus
was reached.  then again, it's been a while since i've given it full
look over so my memory is a little fuzzy.

as for why there's been little activity on it--apart from the usual
"i've been busy doing more important things" etc, i think a big
motivation killer was that we never received any feedback from the PHP
team themselves (multiple requests were sent over a span of >= 6
months), and without that there was a feeling that the draft lacked a
certain level of legitimacy.  at least that's how i saw it.

*however*, recently i've recently found myself hijacked into the PHP
team, so i would expect the status of this to change noticably in the
not-too-distant future.  currently, i'm more focused on getting the php
package into a releasable state, but i've also made some minor changes
(such as the conf.d scan dir settings) to move the packages and draft
closer together.

	sean