Re: Hard upgrader

On 9 Mar 1998 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
> > If you all recall when I wrote the 'gental upgrader' we talked about
>
> This should be called the "Gentile" upgrader, to fit in with the overall
> religious motif. :-)

Lol!

> > Killing xlib6-dev In favor of xlib6g
> > Suiciding ncurses3.0-dev In favor of libc5-dev
>
> It's not at all clear how Killing and Suicide differ here.

It's just debug output, it indicates what stage of the dependancy
processing is being considered. I think killing means another package was
being considered and suiciding means the current package was being
considered.

> > Getty should have a reduced score because it is obsolete.
>
> Provide a file called "penalty-box" with penalties (and possibly bonuses)
> for obsolete packages or possibly packages+versions

Should this be part of the archive? It is a nice solution, get
Packages+Revision+Penalties. I was thinking of suggesting adding lines
like

Package: blah
Obsolete: Yes

To the hamm Packages file which would have a similar effect.

Jason