Re: [Nbd] Running hardware-over-IP

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:59:00PM -0700, Jonathan Petersson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just stumbled upon this project trying to find a way to run
> hardware-over-IP, while NBD seams to enable sharing block-devices over
> IP I'm wondering if anyone knows of a project to share any hardware
> over IP, say USB, sound-cards, graphics-card etc in the same fashion
> NBD does?

I'm not aware of any such thing. In fact, NBD isn't
"blockdevice-over-IP", either, since that would imply something like the
ability to relay cdrom ioctl()s, and similar, which NBD does not have.
Instead, it's storage-over-IP, which implies that you can also export
regular files. Few people seem to realize this, however.

trying to fool the system.