Debian Weekly News - May 31st, 2005
Welcome to this year's 22nd issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the Debian community. Andreas Barth prepares for after the release already and tried to optimise the LDAP gateway to the bug tracking system. Nokia has released an Internet tablet PC that uses Debian as operating system.
Sarge Release Update. Andreas Barth sent in the next status report about the upcoming sarge release. The number of release-critical bugs is still too high so the release is postponed by one more week. He also mentioned that all update requests need to be reviewed manually which consumes a lot of time.
New Archive Section: video? Philipp Kern wondered
when a set of packages warrant the introduction of a new archive section. He
heard from several users who were looking for multimedia players and got lost
graphics section. He also noted
that some players are currently even in the section of their corresponding
End of debian-legal Summaries? Frank Lichtenheld wondered if the legal summaries that he had created should be removed again. Shortly after their creation this effort was stalled since nobody wrote summaries anymore. For many discussions this proved to be difficult if not impossible.
Preparations for the Debian Conference. Anibal Monsalve Salazar asked for GnuPG keys to be submitted for the keysigning party at the upcoming Debian conference. Gunnar Wolf asked all attendees to check their personal information and to add final for food requirements.
Debian Day at LinuxTag 2005. Joey Schulze announced the schedule for this year's Debian day, a mini-conference that is traditionally held during LinuxTag which takes place from June 22nd to 25th in Karlsruhe, Germany. The talks will describe certain parts of the distribution or the project and will be held in English. For the first time the mini-conference will be continued on a second day.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
- DSA 728: qpopper -- Arbitrary file overwriting.
- DSA 729: php4 -- Denial of service.
- DSA 730: bzip2 -- Unauthorised permissions modification.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
- ggobi -- Data visualisation system for high-dimensional data.
- kball -- Game of skill and reflexes for all the family.
- kshutdown -- Advanced shutdown utility for KDE.
- mono-devel -- Mono CLI (.NET) runtime with development tools.
- multi-aterm -- Tabbed terminal emulator with efficient pseudo transparency.
- openhackware -- OpenFirmware emulator for PowerPC.
- pbzip2 -- Parallel bzip2 implementation.
- pngquant -- PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image optimising utility.
- proll -- JavaStation PROM 2.x compatible replacement.
- satutils -- Direcway(TM) and Motosat(TM) utilities.
- timps -- Transparent Instant Messaging Proxy Server.
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive this newsletter weekly in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Weekly News was edited by Martin 'Joey' Schulze.