Debian Weekly News - February 14th, 2006
Welcome to this year's 7th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the Debian community. Lars Wirzenius nominated himself as a candidate for the upcoming Debian project leader election. Manoj Srivastava called for nominations for this election until February 25th again.
Delivering Free Software at 2 Gbit/s. Mattias Wadenstein published details on how the Academic Computer Club at Umeå University, Sweden, managed to saturate the 2 Gbit/s of available Internet bandwidth with a cluster of machines and http redirects. New releases made by large Free Software projects usually means that a lot of people want the new release immediately, and the Debian Sarge release followed by an Ubuntu release were no exceptions.
Message-ID Lookup for List Mails. Jeroen van Wolffelaar announced that he has re-implemented the lookup by Message-ID for list mails on lists.debian.org. This service is based on an idea by Andrew Suffield who has terminated it recently. It also supports multiple hits for a single ID.
Trademark Policy for Packages? Simon Josefsson wondered about Debian's policy on trademarks for terms used in documentation and package descriptions and wanted to know if there are particular permissions that would be useful to request as far as Debian is concerned. Florian Weimer explained that as long as trademark issues do not prevent creation and distribution of derivative works, or prevent an interoperable re-implementation, trademarks are outside Debian's scope.
Wireless with iBook G4. Jorge Ortiz reported that the wireless system in the iBook G4 is now fully supported in Debian for the PowerPC architecture. He pointed out that kernel versions newer than 2.6.15-rc5 in conjunction with bcm43xxx drivers are needed. This airport extreme card was not expected to be supported so soon.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
- DSA 966: adzapper -- Denial of service.
- DSA 967: elog -- Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 968: noweb -- Insecure temporary file creation.
- DSA 969: scponly -- Potential root vulnerability.
- DSA 970: kronolith -- Cross-site scripting.
- DSA 971: xpdf -- Denial of service.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
- bdf2psf -- Font converter to generate console fonts from BDF source fonts.
- cl-contextl -- Context orientation for Common Lisp.
- console-setup -- Setup the font and the keyboard on the console.
- dssi-utils -- Command-line utilities for sending commands to DSSI plugins.
- gnome-screensaver -- GNOME ScreenSaver.
- gorm.app -- Visual Interface Builder for GNUstep.
- kradio -- Comfortable Radio Application for KDE.
- nagios2 -- Host/service/network monitoring and management system.
- stgit -- Provides quilt's functionality on top of git.
- tioga -- Ruby library for scientific graphs.
- update-notifier -- Daemon which notifies about package updates.
Orphaned Packages. 31 packages were orphaned this week and require a new maintainer. This makes a total of 221 orphaned packages. Many thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free Software community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list, and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you plan to take over a package.
- asciijump -- Small and funny ASCII-art game about ski jumping. (Bug#352436)
- aspectj -- Seamless aspect-oriented extension for Java. (Bug#352521)
- barrage -- Rather violent action game. (Bug#352439)
- blackbook -- GTK+ Address Book Applet. (Bug#352437)
- coldsync -- Tool for syncing PalmOS PDAs with Unix workstations. (Bug#352615)
- cpanel -- Configuration tool for Chinese desktop environment. (Bug#352557)
- crank -- Classical CRypto ANalysis toolKit. (Bug#352532)
- dbs -- Allows Debian source packages with multiple patches. (Bug#352609)
- eclipse-nls-sdk -- Localised message catalog for eclipse. (Bug#352511)
- freqtweak -- Realtime audio frequency spectral manipulation. (Bug#352540)
- icheck -- C interface ABI/API checker. (Bug#352431)
- libbusiness-onlinepayment-tclink-perl -- TrustCommerce backend for Business::OnlinePayment. (Bug#352663)
- libnet-tclink-perl -- Perl interface to the TrustCommerce payment gateway. (Bug#352664)
- libpalm-perl -- Perl 5 modules for manipulating pdb and prc database files. (Bug#352616)
- mctools-lite -- CD player and audio mixer for X. (Bug#352538)
- mrtgutils -- Utilities to generate statistics for mrtg. (Bug#352553)
- php4-tclink -- TrustCommerce TCLink module for php4. (Bug#352661)
- python-tclink -- TrustCommerce credit card processing for Python 2.3.x. (Bug#352665)
- rosegarden -- Integrated MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor. (Bug#352543)
- rosegarden2 -- Integrated MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor. (Bug#352537)
- sa-exim -- Use SpamAssassin at SMTP time with the Exim v4 MTA. (Bug#352533)
- sfront -- MPEG 4 Structured Audio decoder. (Bug#352542)
- ssystem -- 3D solar system simulator. (Bug#352709)
- tapiir -- Tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects. (Bug#352539)
- tclxml -- Tcl library for XML parsing. (Bug#352330)
- tdfsb -- 3D filesystem browser. (Bug#352441)
- wmget -- Background download manager in a Window Maker dock app. (Bug#352435)
- wmshutdown -- Allow you to shutdown or reboot your machine. (Bug#352440)
- xenophilia -- Customisable GTK+ engine with a plain look. (Bug#352593)
- xexec -- Run a simple arbitrary command from X. (Bug#352708)
- xgdipc -- GnuDIP GTK client. (Bug#352550)
Removed Packages. 8 packages have been removed from the Debian archive during the past week:
- wmufo -- This is wmseti on steroids!
Bug#294316: Request of QA, orphaned, obsolete, non-functional
- kernel-patch-2.4-cobalt -- Kernel patch for Cobalt(Sun) Linux servers (RaQ and Qube)
Bug#351187: Request of QA, unmaintained, does not apply to current kernels
- kernel-patch-psd -- In-kernel Portscan Detector
Bug#351188: Request of QA, unmaintained, does not apply to current kernels
- kernel-patch-scanlogic -- Patch to Linux USB to get ScanLogic's USB-IDE Adapters to work
Bug#351194: Request of QA, unmaintained, does not apply to current kernels
- boot-icons -- Display boot progress using graphical icons
Bug#351285: Request of maintainer, has never been part of a stable release; better replacements exist
- ksetisaver -- SETI screensaver for KDE
Bug#351315: Request of maintainer, request of QA, non-functional, obsolete
- setiathome -- SETI@Home Client (install package)
Bug#351316: Request of QA, obsolete, unusable
- wmsetimon -- Dock application which show you the current state of your SETI@Home units
Bug#351317: Request of maintainer, request of QA, obsolete, unusable
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive this newsletter weekly in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Weekly News was edited by Mattias Wadenstein, Juanjavier Martínez and Martin 'Joey' Schulze.