Debian Weekly News - March 28th, 2006
Welcome to this year's 13th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the Debian community. David Moreno Garza built an RSS feed for the Debian Weekly News. Manoj Srivastava called for votes for this year's project leader election which has seen the lowest participation ever in a Debian project leader election seen so far. Votes must be received by April 8th, 2006.
Deprecating debmake after etch. Santiago Vila announced that debmake will be removed from testing and unstable some time after the release of etch. Maintainers of the remaining packages (less than 60) that still use debmake for packaging should switch to other tools soon. In a few months he will open bug reports against the remaining packages.
Past Events Notes. Alexander Schmehl reported about past events where the Debian project was present. There were booths and participation at the FOSDEM in Belgium, the Chemnitzer Linux-Tage and the CeBIT in Hannover. Alexander also seeks for support for upcoming events like the South Pacific Linux World in Australia or the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo in Korea.
New Debian-Edu/Skolelinux Release. Finn-Arne Johansen announced the new version 2.0 of Skolelinux after a long period of development. It contains many updates and new features such as sound on thin clients, improved hardware detection, a new version of KDE and many updated translations for an increasing number of languages. A lot of documentation has also been improved to provide a better overview about the project and make it easier to join the team.
Limitations of reportbug. Kamaraju Kusumanchi reported that the reportbug utility has displayed more than 600 bug report titles when he wanted to report a bug. Since searching for keywords in bug reports is not supported Marco d'Itri suggested using Google groups for this.
Debian Fonts Task Force. Christian Perrier explained the goals of the foundation of a font packages maintenance team for Debian. One of the goals for this team is setting up a font packaging policy to improve the incorporation of new fonts in Debian. A dedicated project was set up on Alioth along with a Subversion repository and a mailing list.
Supported Languages for the Debian-Installer. Just after the second beta release of the debian-installer, Christian Perrier indicated that work was going on for the installer localisation. He cleaned out his debian-installer supported languages list. New languages are still being added but if people want their language to be supported in etch's installer, work must start now.
Archive Recompilation with GCC 4.1. Martin Michlmayr announced that over the last two weeks he has compiled the whole Debian archive on a quad-core Broadcom MIPS box using GCC 4.1. The aim was to discover problems in GCC 4.1 itself and bugs in packages exhibited by GCC's increased standards conformance (in particular regarding C++ code). Through the compilation of about 6200 packages, he found 500 new bugs: 280 of which are due to the increased strictness of GCC 4.1.
Writing Copyright Files. Jörg Jaspert reported about the requirements of information in
files since many rejects from the NEW queue are still
due to broken or incomplete copyright-files. It must contain the author(s)
name, the year(s) of the copyright, the used license(s) and the URL to the
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
- DSA 1013: snmptrapfmt -- Insecure temporary file.
- DSA 1014: firebird2 -- Denial of service.
- DSA 1015: sendmail -- Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1016: evolution -- Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1017: Linux 2.6.8 -- Several vulnerabilities.
- DSA 1018: Linux 2.4.27 -- Several vulnerabilities.
- DSA 1019: koffice -- Several vulnerabilities.
- DSA 1020: flex -- Insecure code generation.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
- brltty-x11 -- Access software for a blind person using a soft braille terminal.
- cps-site -- Pre-configured Zope instance containing a plone site.
- dctrl-tools -- Command-line tools to process Debian package information.
- erlang-mode -- Erlang editing mode for emacsen editors.
- iaxmodem -- Software modem with IAX2 connectivity.
- gromacs -- Molecular dynamics simulator, with building and analysis tools.
- kolab-resource-handlers -- Scripts for the Kolab groupware server.
- lanmap -- Network discovery tool that produces nice 2d images.
- latex-sanskrit -- Pre-processor and fonts to typeset Sanskrit in TeX.
- mtasc -- ActionScript 2 to Flash (SWF) compiler.
- o3read -- Standalone converter for OpenOffice.org documents.
- polgen -- SELinux policy generation scripts.
- pyqonsole -- X Window terminal written in Python.
Orphaned Packages. 13 packages were orphaned this week and require a new maintainer. This makes a total of 273 orphaned packages. Many thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free Software community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list, and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you plan to take over a package.
- apcd -- APC Smart UPS daemon. (Bug#358513)
- arla -- Free client for the AFS distributed network filesystem. (Bug#358482)
- falselogin -- False login shell. (Bug#358516)
- haskell-hsql -- Multi-Database Interface System for Haskell. (Bug#358873)
- libemail-abstract-perl -- Library that presents unified interface to mail representations. (Bug#358895)
- liblogfile-rotate-perl -- Perl module to rotate logfiles. (Bug#358573)
- libmodule-pluggable-perl -- Automatically provide your module the ability to accept plugins. (Bug#358894)
- multisync -- Program to synchronise PIM data. (Bug#358485)
- restartd -- Process checker and/or restarter. (Bug#358514)
- rscheme -- Threaded, persistent, OO, scheme interpreter and compiler. (Bug#359135)
- tdtd -- Emacs major mode for editing SGML and XML DTDs. (Bug#358437)
- tictactoe -- Tic-tac-toe game written in Ruby. (Bug#358574)
- ttylog -- Serial port logger. (Bug#358515)
Removed Packages. 25 packages have been removed from the Debian archive during the past week:
- python-bsddb3 -- Python interface to libdb3
Bug#264695: Request of QA, orphaned, bundled with Python 2.3+
- oonsoo -- Solitaire game for X
Bug#275774: Request of QA, orphaned for 500+ days, many alternatives
- icecast-client -- Streaming MPEG Layer III feeder
Bug#279526: Request of QA, orphaned for 500+ days, alternatives exist
- kmatplot -- Gnuplot-like tool for plotting data sets in 2D or 3D
Bug#285735: Request of QA, orphaned, has never been part of a stable release, buggy, dead upstream
- rawrec -- Buffered raw audio recorder/player
Bug#288215: Request of QA, orphaned, buggy, no upstream
- soundgrab -- Play a raw audio file and interactively select and save pieces
Bug#288216: Request of QA, orphaned, buggy
- gcombust -- GTK+ based CD mastering and burning program
Bug#288267: Request of QA, orphaned, upstream inactive
- cscvs -- System for integrating CVS repositories into Arch archives
Bug#305462: Request of QA, orphaned, alternatives exist
- kbear -- Graphical FTP client for KDE
Bug#315340: Request of QA, orphaned, buggy, no upstream activity
- mysql-dfsg -- MySQL database client library
Bug#356751: Request of maintainer, superseded by mysql-dfsg-5.0
- mysql-dfsg-4.1 -- MySQL database client library
Bug#356752: Request of maintainer, superseded by mysql-dfsg-5.0
- linux-kernel-di-alpha -- Braille support (udeb)
Bug#357940: Request of maintainer, superseded by 2.6 images
- memprof -- Memory profiler and leak detector
Bug#324607: Request of QA, orphaned, buggy, alternatives exist
- kernel-image-2.4.27-hppa -- Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.4.27 on PA-RISC.
Bug#352011: Request of maintainer, superseded by 2.6
- thy -- Tiny and fast http daemon
Bug#355852: Request of maintainer, unmaintained upstream, buggy
- lablgtk -- Runtime libraries for lablgtk.
Bug#355673: Request of maintainer, replaced by gtk2 versions, obsolete
- dvtitler -- Title generator for use with kino
Bug#352580: Request of maintainer, superseded by kino
- goldedplus -- Offline mail reader for Fidonet and Usenet
Bug#334743: Request of QA, orphaned, several vulnerabilities, license unclear
- preferences -- GNUstep Preferences application
Bug#356599: Request of maintainer, renamed to preferences.app
- gorm -- Visual Interface Builder for GNUstep
Bug#356600: Request of maintainer, renamed to gorm.app
- projectcenter -- IDE for GNUstep Development
Bug#356607: Request of maintainer, renamed to projectcenter.app
- terminal -- Terminal Emulator for GNUstep
Bug#356608: Request of maintainer, renamed to terminal.app
- tyvis -- UC's VHDL Simulation Runtime Libraries - shared library only
Bug#356940: Request of QA, uninstallable, not updated since 2004-07, RC-buggy
- dbtcp -- Miscellaneous command-line DBTCP utils
Bug#357857: Request of maintainer, unused, unmaintained, bitrot
- waiho.app -- Simple FTP client for GNUstep
Bug#358122: Request of maintainer, replaced by ftp.app
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at email@example.com.
To receive this newsletter weekly in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Weekly News was edited by Sebastian Feltel, Maximilian Wilhelm, Mohammed Adnène Trojette, Martin Michlmayr and Martin 'Joey' Schulze.