Debian Weekly News - July 11th, 2006
Welcome to this year's 28th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the Debian community. Bruce Perens warned against patent holders filing law suits against Free Software developers after a suit has been filed against Red Hat. Steinar Gunderson noticed that the buildd network is really surprisingly fast these days when a package was built by eight architectures within an hour.
The debian-devel Mailing List. Cesare Leonardi wondered who is supposed to participate in discussions on the debian-devel mailing list since the attitude of some mails gave the impression that people who are not contributing actively in form of code were only second class list members. Matthew Garrett asserted that this merely means that if one is not participating in Debian development, one is not supposed to make demands to the project.
Hidden Files in Debian Packages. Klaus Ethgen noticed
that several packages add hidden files inside of
Åvirblis added that these files may confuse security scanners and Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh stated that it is a bad form to have hidden files anywhere but under the
user's home directories. Mike Hommey revealed
that the mentioned file helps component registration on upgrade and Joey Hess explained that mooix uses dotfiles as a
flag to mark objects.
Debian Kernel with Bootsplash Graphic. Paul van der Vlis asked for a way to configure a boot graphic to the Debian kernel without the need to compile a kernel of his own. Paul Wise reported that splashy from experimental totally runs in user-land and doesn't require a kernel patch to take effect.
Dependency Resolution. Andreas Barth reported about a meeting with researchers from the Rencontres Mondiales du Logiciel Libre (RMLL) in which many ideas about dependencies in Debian were exchanged. The dependency web of Debian packages has been converted into the Boolean satisfiability problem (SAT) so that a normal resolver could find a solution. This produced some amusing outcome such as a Debian weather that represents the installability status of the packages or a SAT temperature that denotes the difficulty of resolving a set of dependencies.
Next Debian Conference in Edinburgh. Neil McGovern announced after a long meeting that the next Debian conference will take place in Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Another potential venue for this conference has been Sarajevo in Bosnia. Both locations have been visited before and a lot of discussion took place with both local teams.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
- DSA 1105: xine-lib -- Denial of service.
- DSA 1106: ppp -- Privilege escalation.
- DSA 1107: gnupg -- Denial of service.
- DSA 1108: mutt -- Arbitrary code execution.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
- adept-installer — Simple user interface for application management.
- bonfire — CD/DVD burning application.
- buildbot — System to automate the compile/test cycle.
- cl-launch — Uniform frontend to running Common Lisp code from the shell.
- cl-soap — Open Source implementation of SOAP for Common Lisp.
- codeine — Simple KDE video player.
- collectd — Statistics collection daemon.
- curlftpfs — Filesystem to access FTP hosts based on FUSE and cURL.
- dchroot-dsa — Execute commands in a chroot environment.
- facter — Library for retrieving facts from operating systems.
- freetennis — Free Tennis - simulation game.
- gadmintools — GTK+ server administration tools.
- geany — Fast and lightweight IDE.
- gnome-hearts — The classic hearts card game for the GNOME desktop.
- gplanarity — Simple puzzle game involving untangling planar graphs.
- haxml — Utilities for using XML documents with Haskell.
- hpodder — Tool to scan and download podcasts (podcatcher).
- icon-naming-utils — Script for maintaining backwards compatibility of Tango Project.
- kbfx — Alternative to K-Menu for KDE.
- khmerconverter — Converts between legacy Khmer encodings and Unicode.
- kolabadmin — Administration tool for kolab groupware server.
- kwlan — Wpasupplicant frontend for KDE.
- lastmp — MPD client for lastfmsubmitd.
- mailtextbody — Tool to return the body of an email message.
- menhir — Parser generator for OCaml.
- mg — Microscopic GNU Emacs-style editor.
- mini-httpd — Small HTTP server.
- openmpi-bin — High performance message passing library.
- pengupop — Online multiplayer clone of Bust a Move.
- picprog — Microchip PIC serial programmer software.
- planet — Flexible feed aggregator.
- pubtal — Template driven web site builder for small sites.
- puppet — Centralised configuration management for networks.
- sbaz — Scala Bazaars package-distribution system.
- scala — Scala programming language.
- tcpser — Emulate a Hayes compatible modem.
- twolame — MPEG Audio Layer 2 encoder (command line frontend).
- uswsusp — Tools to use userspace software suspend provided by Linux.
- vdrift — Open Source drift racing simulation.
- vzctl — Server virtualisation solution.
- wbrazilian — Brazilian Portuguese wordlist.
- wikipediafs — View and edit Wikipedia articles as if they were real files.
- wmii2 — Lightweight tabbed and tiled X11 window manager, version 2.
- wportuguese — European Portuguese wordlist.
- xapian-tools — Basic tools for Xapian search engine library.
Orphaned Packages. 7 packages were orphaned this week and
require a new maintainer. This makes a total of 321 orphaned packages. Many
thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free Software
community. Please see the WNPP pages for
the full list, and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA:
if you plan to take over a package. To find out which orphaned packages are
installed on your system the
wnpp-alert program from
devscripts may be helpful.
- encore — Core database for lambdamoo. (Bug#377620)
- ghostcore — Core database for lambdamoo. (Bug#377621)
- jhcore — Jay's House Core, an enhanced core database for lambdamoo. (Bug#377622)
- lambdacore — Core database for lambdamoo. (Bug#377623)
- lambdamoo — A server for an online multiuser virtual world. (Bug#377624)
- lambdamoo-docs — LambdaMOO user and programmer manuals. (Bug#377625)
- ratmenu — Creates X menus from the shell. (Bug#377626)
Removed Packages. 86 packages have been removed from the Debian archive during the past week:
- siptoolbox — Scilab image processing toolbox (SIP)
Bug#307365: Request of QA: orphaned, unbuildable, has never been part of a stable release.
- okle — DVD player for KDE
Bug#333816: Request of QA, orphaned, superseded by kaffeine.
- cvsbook — Open Source Development with CVS, the book
Bug#337849: Request of maintainer, outdated and new version unpackagable, long time RFAed.
- mozilla-firefox-locale-ar — Mozilla Firefox Arabic Language/Region Package
Bug#348355: Request of maintainer, superseded by mozilla-firefox-locale-all.
- skk — SKK Dictionary server
Bug#353627: Request of QA, orphaned, RC bug, out of date.
- drsync — Wrapper for file synchronisation via rsync
Bug#354843: Request of maintainer, orphaned, RC bug, dead.
- apcd — APC Smart UPS daemon
Bug#358513: Request of maintainer: obsolete, use apcupsd.
- mozilla-firefox-locale-tr — Mozilla Firefox Turkish Language/Region Package
Bug#359202: Request of maintainer, superseded by mozilla-firefox-locale-all.
- buildtool — Portable build infrastructure
Bug#359259: Request of maintainer, dead, no longer supported, rarely used.
- vdradmin — Web-based administration tool for vdr
Bug#359951: Request of maintainer, superseded by vdradmin-am.
- drbd — RAID 1 over TCP/IP for Linux utilities
Bug#361263: Request of maintainer, obsolete; replaced by drbd0.7 and drbd8.
- kernel-patch-uml — User-mode Linux (kernel patch)
Bug#361607: Request of QA, obsolete.
- eudc — Emacs Unified Directory Client
Bug#361895: Request of maintainer, merged in to emacs21.
- xen — Patch to Linux for the Xen sub-architecture
Bug#362026: Request of QA: obsolete, superseded by xen-3.0.
- worker-doc — Documentation for the Worker file manager
Bug#362212: Request of maintainer, dead upstream.
- zope-cmf1.4 — Zope content management framework (CMF), 1.4 branch
Bug#362284: Request of maintainer, superseded by zipe-cmf1.
- zope-i18nlayer — Fully transparent multilingual content solution for zope/plone
Bug#362286: Request of maintainer, low usage; better alternatives is zope-linguaplone.
- zope-i18nfolder — Zope product for handling multilingual folders
Bug#362287: Request of maintainer, low usage; better alternatives is zope-linguaplone.
- zope-portaltransport — Subscription service for cmf content types
Bug#362290: Request of maintainer, low usage; no rev-deps.
- zope-zattachmentattribute — Simple attachment handler for zope products
Bug#362303: Request of maintainer, superseded by zope-attachmentfield.
- zope-zaaplugins — Collection of ZAttachment plugins
Bug#362304: Request of maintainer, superseded by zope-attachmentfield.
- kernel-patch-powerpc-2.4.27 — Build infrastructure for kernel version 2.4.27-apus
Bug#362319: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- liboil0.2 — Library of Optimized Inner Loops
Bug#362506: Request of maintainer, superseded by liboil0.3.
- resmgr — Resource manager library [development files]
Bug#362822: Request of maintainer, security problems; largely obsoleted by udev.
- koffice-i18n — Afrikaans (af) translations for KOffice
Bug#362841: Request of maintainer, superseded by koffice-l10n.
- dacode — Powerful and full-featured news engine written in PHP
Bug#363063: Request of maintainer, unmaintained upstream; obsolete.
- gnome2-user-docs — GNOME 2 User's Guide
Bug#363941: Request of maintainer, superseded by gnome-user-docs.
- timecode — C++ hierarchy which controls and describes time code
Bug#364055: Request of QA, broken.
- ucd-snmp — NET SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) Library
Bug#364094: Request of maintainer, superseded by net-snmp; dead upstream.
- nvidia-modules-i386 — NVIDIA binary kernel module
Bug#364218: Request of maintainer, superseded by nvidia-graphics-modules-i386.
- cherrypy — Python-based tool for developing dynamic web sites
Bug#364432: Request of maintainer, obsolete; superseded by python-cherrypy.
- xsim — X Simple Input Method
Bug#364618: Request of maintainer, dead upstream; alternatives exist.
- kernel-patch-adamantix — Kernel patches introduced in Adamantix
Bug#364684: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy; unmaintained.
- rsbac-admin — Rule Set Based Access Control administrative utilities
Bug#364685: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy; unmaintained.
- mindi-partimagehack — Disk partition imaging utility for Mindi/Mondo
Bug#364701: Request of maintainer,superseded by ntfsclone; dead upstream.
- libmysqlclient-lgpl — LGPL-licensed client library for MySQL databases
Bug#366590: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- libhonyaku-damashii-ruby — Honyakudamashii client library for Ruby
Bug#367676: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- liboptparse-ruby — Command line option parser class for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367896: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- drb — Distributed Ruby for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367898: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- libcsv-ruby — CSV data format parse module for ruby1.6
Bug#367899: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- aget — Multithreaded HTTP Download Accelerator
Bug#367900: Request of maintainer, dead upstream.
- xmlrpc4r — XML-RPC support for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367902: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- webrick — Simple HTTP Server Toolkit for Ruby 1.6.x
Bug#367904: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- erb — Tiny eRuby for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367908: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- libopenssl-ruby — OpenSSL interface for Ruby
Bug#367917: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- libmutexm-ruby — Yet another mutex library for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367926: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- libnet-acl-ruby — Simple Access Control Class for Ruby 1.6
Bug#367927: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- ruby-eserver — Generic multi-threaded e-service server in Ruby 1.6.x
Bug#367928: Request of maintainer, ruby 1.6 removal.
- alltraxclock2 — Analog clock plugin for GKrellM2
Bug#368123: Request of QA, orphaned; duplicate of alltraxclock.
- moniwiki — MoniWiki is yet another WikiEngine written in PHP
Bug#368153: Request of QA, orphaned.
- sdl-ttf1.2 — TrueType font library for Simple DirectMedia Layer
Bug#368621: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- jython — Python seamlessly integrated with Java
Bug#368791: Request of QA, orphaned, obsolete.
- libcatalyst-model-dbic-perl — DBix::Class Model for Catalyst Framework
Bug#369558: Request of maintainer, superseded by libcatalyst-modules-perl.
- spidermonkey — Development files for the SpiderMonkey JS library
Bug#369887: Request of maintainer, superseded by xulrunner.
- xfce4-iconbox — Iconbox for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment
Bug#370001: Request of maintainer, superseded by xfce4-panel.
- xfce4-toys — Eyes plugin for Xfce4 panel and xfce4-tips
Bug#370003: Request of maintainer, superseded by xfce4-session.
- xfcalendar — Time-managing application for the Xfce desktop environment
Bug#370004: Request of maintainer, superseded by orage.
- xfce4-systray — Systray panel plugin for Xfce4 panel
Bug#370000: Request of maintainer, superseded by xfce4-panel.
- xfce4-showdesktop-plugin — Show desktop button for the Xfce4 panel
Bug#370005: Request of maintainer, superseded by xfce4-panel.
- xfce4-trigger-launcher — Panel plugin to start/stop programs
Bug#370109: Request of maintainer, superseded by xfce4-panel.
- netsaint-statd — Netsaint_statd plugins
Bug#370334: Request of maintainer, superseded by nagios-statd packages.
- prelude-nids — Hybrid Intrusion Detection System [ Network sensor ]
Bug#370662: Request of maintainer, old; RC-buggy; dead upstream.
- xffm4 — File manager for the Xfce4 desktop environment
Bug#370749: Request of maintainer, superseded by thunar.
- xffm4-icons — Icons for xffm4, the FM of XFce4
Bug#373262: Request of maintainer, superseded by thunar.
- wims-modules-fr — French modules for WIMS
Bug#370798: Request of maintainer, replaced by wims-modules.
- gngeogui — GUI Frontend for gngeo
Bug#372202: Request of maintainer, front-end for already removed gngeo.
- systemimager-ssh — SystemImager boot binaries for i386 client nodes
Bug#372793: Request of maintainer, superseded by systemimager.
- libsem — Portable, pthread-based semaphore library, development files
Bug#373088: Request of maintainer, old, unused, RC-buggy.
- pike-crypto-build — Build only package for building pike-crypto binary package
Bug#373114: Request of maintainer, obsolete, uninstallable.
- libattribute-handlers-perl — Simple definition of attribute handlers
Bug#373715: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- libdwarf — Debugging Information Format library and documentation
Bug#373773: Request of maintainer, obsolete; no rev-deps.
- gnome-pim — Calendar and address book for GNOME
Bug#373799: Request of maintainer, dead upstream; broken.
- eli-doc — HTML and PostScript documentation for Eli
Bug#374368: Request of maintainer, documentation for already removed eli package.
- abc2ps — Translates ABC music description files to PostScript
Bug#374449: Request of maintainer, dead upstream; security issues; superseded by abcm2ps.
- sslwrap — Simple TCP service encryption using TLS/SSL
Bug#374521: Request of maintainer, dead upstream; obsolete.
- gal — G App Libs (development files)
Bug#374953: Request of QA, unmaintained; obsolete; no rev-deps.
- ipodder — Podcast receiver
Bug#375355: Request of maintainer, license issues.
- kernel-patch-gcov — Linux Kernel Coverage patch
Bug#376093: Request of maintainer, superseded by linux-patch-gcov.
- librcov-ruby — Code coverage tool for Ruby 1.8
Bug#376453: Request of maintainer, superseded by rcov.
- gtksourceview-sharp — CLI binding for the gtksourceview library
Bug#376475: Request of maintainer, upstream unsupported, obsolete.
- pgmonitor — Tcl/Tk script for examining the status of PostgreSQL backends
Bug#376725: Request of maintainer, merged in to PostgreSQL.
- rgtk — GNU R binding for Gtk
Bug#376738: Request of maintainer, obsolete; dead upstream; no rev-deps.
- callgrind — Call-graph skin for valgrind
Bug#376950: Request of maintainer, superseded by valgrind.
- ifenslave-2.4 — Attach and detach slave interfaces to a bonding device
Bug#377114: Request of maintainer: outdated.
- leo — English-German dictionary using dict.leo.org
Bug#362016: Request of maintainer: infringes web site license.
- linux-kernel-di-powerpc — Amiga filesystem support (udeb)
Bug#362318: Request of maintainer: unused.
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at email@example.com.
To receive this newsletter weekly in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Weekly News was edited by Martin 'Joey' Schulze.