Debian Weekly News - January 23rd, 2007
Welcome to this year's 1st issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for the Debian community. Erinn Clark, co-founder and leader of Debian Women is selected one of the top 10 girl geeks who are influential in Open Source. Linux-Watch posted Chris Fearnley's rebuttal to Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols argument that Debian is in trouble.
Debian and the one Laptop per Child Project. Michael Voigt wondered if Debian is supporting the One Laptop per Child project. It has been founded by the MIT Media Laboratory and is about creating an cheap and affordable laptop for children in the third world and developing countries. Petter Reinholdtsen explained that Debian is participating with its DebianEdu sub-project.
French DebianEdu Developers Meeting. Mathieu Duploy announced the Debian-Edu developers meeting sponsored by Centre Européen de Transfert et de Recherche en Informatique Libre. It will take place on February 17th to 24th in Soissons (France). Transportation from Soissons to FOSDEM in Brussels is included.
Debian's History 2006. Martin Zobel-Helas reported that he and Ana Guerrero are creating an review of all major Debian events in 2006. They are using different news channels like Debian Weekly News, Planet Debian and several mailing lists as source for the review. Readers who find unmentioned events and thus want to contribute should write an email to the debian-publicity mailing list. The review is planned to be published on several websites like Linux Weekly News and Linux.com.
Debian-Installer for Sony PS3. Kenshi Muto (武藤 健志) announced that his friend, Takeshi Yaegashi (八重樫 剛史) succeeded to install Debian on a Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3), which is a 64-bit PowerPC architecture that some GNU/Linux distributions and NetBSD already have a port for. Yaegashi set up a Wiki page that describes the installation using a customised version of the debian-installer.
Adding Style Checks to lintian. Mikhail Gusarov wondered
if removing empty lines from the end of
debian/changelog together with the use of two spaces before
Homepage: in the description would warrant a lintian check. Nico Golde pointed
out that these are not backed up by policy manual and hence shouldn't be included. Russ Allbery reported that he intends to add a set of style checks
to lintian that would be optional and would have to be explicitly requested.
Woody Distribution archived. Florian Lohoff noticed that the old stable release woody has been removed from mirror servers recently. Kevin Mark explained that this happened because Debian only supports old distributions for a defined period of time by providing packages and security support. After this the old distribution won't be maintained anymore but kept on archive.debian.org for historical reasons.
Kernel Handbook updated. Jurij Smakov announced that the Debian Kernel Handbook has been updated to reflect changes to the kernel build process and architecture which were made for the upcoming release of etch. The handbook covers several kernel-related topics and tasks like building kernel packages, module packages and the initial ram-disk system used in Debian. Any feedback, comments, or content proposals are welcome.
Anticipating the Release Date. Debian Administration is
conducting a poll
that allows readers to estimate the release date of etch. 45 % of its readers assume that
etch will be released whenever it is ready.
stated that Debian is the most stable distribution and because of its
apt-get and a very helpful large community
he is using the system and expects it to stay at No 1.
Abandon stable Releases? Joseph Smidt suggested to only support unstable and testing so that maintaining is less stress and the testing distribution becomes even better. Several developers disagreed on the numbers backing up the assumption that 76 % of the users already run testing. Wouter Verhelst added that in a corporate world stable is the prevailing Debian distribution.
Compatibility between Creative Commons 2.5 and Debian. Luis Matos asked for feedback about the compatibility between Creative Commons 2.5 licenses and Debian. Andrew Donnellan pointed out that at this moment none of the Creative Common licenses are compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). However, some of the licenses of version 3.0 will most likely be compatible with the DFSG thanks to the effort of Debian people. Francesco Poli added that the current drafts are not DFSG-free, though.
Mailman Upgrade Path from Etch to Lenny. Lionel Elie Mamane reported that the current version 2.1.9 of mailman in etch will not have an upgrade path to version 2.2.x anticipated for lenny. This is because of a change in the file format. Mailman 2.1.10 will be able to export data into a neutral XML format which later versions are able to import. Lionel wondered if he was allowed to upload a newer version or include the export facility in the package for etch.
Measuring Development Progress. Lars Wirzenius proposed a set of carefully selected statistics to measure progress of development in Debian. He suggested weekly reports on total numbers, median and maximum for all open bug reports, reports grouped by severity, response time, lifetime of bugs, and more, and would like to compare these with numbers from the week before.
Status of the M68k Port. Ingo Jürgensmann reported that the m68k port is performing quite well after the GCC issues were finally solved by Roman Zippel. This port is currently in a better shape than alpha and arm. He wondered if m68k could be a release architecture now, given that etch hasn't been released in December.
Installing Debian over PPPoE Connections. Eddy
Petrisor reported that he has successfully installed Debian over a PPPoE
(DSL) connection which was established by the debian-installer. This
demonstrates the comeback of native DSL installations directly from a mirror server
by using the boot argument
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
- DSA 1242: elog — Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1243: evince — Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1244: xine-lib — Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1245: proftpd — Denial of service.
- DSA 1246: OpenOffice.org — Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1247: libapache-mod-auth-kerb — Denial of service.
- DSA 1248: libsoup — Denial of service.
- DSA 1249: xfree86 — Privilege escalation.
- DSA 1250: cacti — Arbitrary code execution.
- DSA 1251: netrik — Arbitrary shell command execution.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
- alpine — Text-based email client, friendly for novices but powerful.
- bzr-svn — Bazaar plugin providing Subversion integration.
- ccd2iso — Converter from CloneCD disc image format to standard ISO.
- context — Powerful TeX format.
- dnsproxy — Proxy for DNS queries.
- drupal-4.7 — Fully-featured content management framework.
- gaia — Interface to the planet.
- gambas2 — Complete visual development environment for Gambas.
- ginspector — GTK+ object/class inspector.
- hedgewars — Worms style game.
- idjc — Graphical shoutcast/icecast client.
- imsniff — Simple program to log Instant Messaging activity on the network.
- jlha-utils — Command-line lzh archiver written in Java.
- ltspfs — Fuse based remote filesystem for LTSP thin clients.
- neko — High-level dynamically typed programming language.
- olsrd — Optimised link-state routing daemon (unik-olsrd).
- openarena — Fast-paced 3D Ego-Shooter.
- otf2bdf — Generate BDF bitmap fonts from OpenType outline fonts.
- pangzero — Action game that involves popping balloons with a harpoon.
- photon — Static HTML gallery generator.
- pnputils — Plug and Play BIOS utilities.
- pokerth — Texas hold'em game.
- pommed — Apple laptops hot-keys event handler.
- pychess — Chess graphical user interface for several chess engines.
- qantenna — Qt based program for viewing antennas as described by NEC files.
- utf8-migration-tool — UTF-8 migration wizard.
- xwatchwin — Watch a window on another X server.
Orphaned Packages. 47 packages were orphaned since the last issue and
require a new maintainer. This makes a total of 377 orphaned packages. Many
thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free Software
community. Please see the WNPP pages for
the full list, and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA:
if you plan to take over a package. To find out which orphaned packages are
installed on your system the
wnpp-alert program from
devscripts may be helpful.
- adplay — Console-based OPL2 audio player. (Bug#407626)
- adplug — Free AdLib sound library. (Bug#407624)
- adplug-xmms — Free AdLib sound library (xmms-plugin). (Bug#407625)
- agrep — Text search tool with support for approximate patterns. (Bug#407649)
- apt-spy — Writes a sources.list file based on bandwidth tests. (Bug#405297)
- cadubi — Creative ASCII Drawing Utility By Ian. (Bug#406350)
- dcd — Simple command-line CD player. (Bug#407630)
- deco — Demos Commander. (Bug#406625)
- dmalloc — Debug memory allocation library. (Bug#407637)
- firedns — Runtime binaries for firedns, an asynch. dns resolver library. (Bug#407545)
- firestring — String handling library. (Bug#407546)
- flac123 — Command-line flac player. (Bug#407547)
- gtk-imonc — Monitor and control 'fli4l' one-diskette routers. (Bug#406448)
- html2ps — HTML to PostScript converter. (Bug#407652)
- jered — Simple full screen text editor. (Bug#406622)
- kiss — Karel's Interactive Simple Shell. (Bug#407426)
- knl — Query/set kernel image parameters. (Bug#407632)
- leakbug — GNUpdate leakbug tracer library. (Bug#407638)
- libapache-mod-auth-mysql — Apache module for MySQL authentication. (Bug#407360)
- libbinio — Binary I/O stream class library. (Bug#407622)
- micro-httpd — Really small HTTP server. (Bug#407661)
- micro-inetd — Simple network service spawner. (Bug#407660)
- micro-proxy — Really small HTTP/HTTPS proxy. (Bug#407659)
- minit — Small but powerful init system. (Bug#407656)
- mkrboot — Make a kernel + root image bootable from one disk or from DOS. (Bug#405527)
- nget — Auto-resuming command line NNTP file grabber. (Bug#407631)
- nwall — Version of wall that uses GNU readline. (Bug#407633)
- nwrite — Enhanced replacement for the write command. (Bug#407636)
- ogre-contrib — Ogre plugin: CgProgramManager. (Bug#405768)
- pxe — Free PXE daemon. (Bug#407907)
- randtype — Semi-random text typer. (Bug#406623)
- setcd — Control the behaviour of your CD-ROM device. (Bug#406134)
- sgrep — Tool to search a file for structured pattern. (Bug#407648)
- slidentd — Minimal ident (RfC 1413) daemon. (Bug#407654)
- smarteiffel — GNU Eiffel compiler, version 1. (Bug#406255)
- snack — Sound functionality extension to the Tcl/Tk language. (Bug#406132)
- softbeep — System bell replacement. (Bug#407646)
- tclex — Lexical analyser generator for Tcl. (Bug#406135)
- transcalc — Microwave and RF transmission line calculator. (Bug#405730)
- transcriber — Transcribe speech data using an integrated editor. (Bug#406133)
- ttf-dustin — Various TrueType fonts from dustismo.com. (Bug#407706)
- ttf-thryomanes — Unicode font covering Latin, Greek, Cyrillic and IPA. (Bug#407711)
- wip — Interactive graphic plotting package for high quality output. (Bug#405731)
- xed — The standard text editor, for X. (Bug#407640)
- xmake — Powerful project making make program. (Bug#407500)
- xmem — Visual indicator of amount of memory/swap usage. (Bug#407639)
- yacas — Computer Algebra System. (Bug#405734)
Removed Packages. 144 packages have been removed from the Debian archive since the last issue:
- lsbappchk — Linux Standard Base application compliance checking tool
Bug#398874: Request of maintainer, superseded by lsb-appchk2/3.
- ipmasqadm — Utility for configuring extra masquerading functionality
Bug#399399: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- alsa-modules-i386 — ALSA modules for kernel 2.4 on 386
Bug#394769: Request of maintainer, obsolete, 2.4 kernel only.
- gnuradio-core — Software Defined Radio
Bug#400513: Request of maintainer, renamed to gnuradio.
- affix-kernel — Common files of the Affix Bluetooth protocol stack for Linux
Bug#234346: Request of maintainer, only for 2.4 kernels.
- affix — User space utilities for the Affix Bluetooth protocol stack
Bug#393884: Request of maintainer, affix-kernel is 2.4 only.
- bluez-pin — Bluetooth PIN helper with D-BUS support
Bug#378427: Request of QA, superseded by bluez-utils.
- netkit-base — The Internet Superserver
Bug#383960: Request of QA, request of maintainer, obsolete.
- fst — Enables VST plugins on GNU/Linux
Bug#402945: Request of QA, GPL/contrib, non-redistributable.
- relay-ctrl — SMTP Relaying Control for qmail & tcpserver
Bug#237446: Request of QA, orphaned, out-of-date.
- peacock — HTML Editor for GTK+/GNOME
Bug#262440: Request of QA, unmaintained, buggy.
- dbmail — Fast and scalable SQL based IMAP and POP mailserver
Bug#384386: Request of QA, RC-buggy, unreleased, next version NEW anyway.
- lightlab — Experiment with the OpenGL lighting model
Bug#384237: Request of maintainer, buggy, unused.
- roy — Utility and data structure library (development files)
Bug#384181: Request of QA, unmaintained, unused.
- slsc — S-Language port of the classic SC spreadsheet
Bug#315641: Request of maintainer, unused.
- webmin-ldap-user-simple — LDAP users control module for webmin
Bug#384017: Request of maintainer, depends on webmin which is gone.
- libvpopmail-perl — Vpopmail support for Perl
Bug#382944: Request of QA, contrib, vpopmail is buggy and appears unmaintained.
- august — Tcl/Tk HTML editor
Bug#381499: Request of QA, orphaned, unmaintained upstream.
- zpkg — Build software distributions based on the Python distutils package
Bug#381174: Request of maintainer, unmaintained upstream, obsoleted.
- localeconf — Debconf interface to locale configuration
Bug#381056: Request of QA, orphaned, buggy.
- libgnujaxp-java — Free implementation of the jaxp API
Bug#381014: Request of maintainer, libgnujaxp-java obsoleted by classpath.
- gtk-industrial-engine — Flat-looking GTK+ 1.x engine from Ximian
Bug#380684: Request of maintainer, superseded by gtk2-engines.
- passivetex — Macros to process XSL formatting objects
Bug#380575: Request of maintainer, buggy, few users.
- toolchain-source — The GNU binutils and gcc source code
Bug#380250: Request of QA, orphaned, obsoleted by real toolchain.
- kernel-patch-quota — Netfilter QUOTA support patch
Bug#379327: Request of QA, obsolete, apparently unmaintained.
- ida — Image viewer & editor
Bug#379257: Request of QA, orphaned, contrib, few users.
- aptconf — Debconf infrastructure for setting up apt sources
Bug#379037: Request of QA, orphaned, RC-buggy, unchanged since sarge.
- timezoneconf — Debconf interface to system timezone, date, and time
Bug#379035: Request of QA, orphaned, unsupportable buggy.
- lambdacore — Core database for lambdamoo
Bug#377623: Request of QA, orphaned, copyright issues.
- rsplib — Development package for rsplib1
Bug#340940: Request of QA, orphaned, out-of-date.
- vaiostat — Sony Vaio status and control kernel module
Bug#321693: Request of QA, request of maintainer, orphaned, inactive upstream.
- radiuscontext — RADIUS log parser and report generator
Bug#279592: Request of QA, orphaned, obsolete according to upstream.
- fsh — Fast remote command execution over rsh/ssh/lsh
Bug#396039: Request of maintainer obsoleted by openssh.
- clutils — Development files needed to compile programs that use clutils
Bug#403389: Request of maintainer, obsoleted by ghdl.
- xearth — Show a rotating earth on your X root window
Bug#400948: Request of QA, orphaned, non-free, replaced by xplanet.
- mediawiki1.5 — math rendering plugin for MediaWiki
Bug#390491: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, superseded by mediawiki1.7.
- gnome-think — Hierarchical organiser and outliner
Bug#302261: Request of QA, orphaned, out-of-date, GNOME 1.
- mozilla-locale-zh-cn — Mozilla Simplified Chinese (China) language/region pack
Bug#378751: Request of QA, orphaned, Mozilla is obsolete.
- mozilla-locale-zh-tw — Mozilla Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) language/region pack
Bug#378752: Request of QA, orphaned, Mozilla is obsolete.
- mozilla-locale-hu — Hungarian menus for Mozilla
Bug#382906: Request of maintainer, Mozilla is obsolete.
- gnome-presence-applet — GNOME presence applet for Galago
Bug#384343: Request of maintainer, obsolete, abandoned upstream.
- aca — The Advanced nCurses API
Bug#384780: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, unused.
- gwrapguile — Development package for libgwrapguile1
Bug#385417: Request of QA, orphaned, obsolete library.
- ocaml-sha1 — SHA1 library for OCaml
Bug#385916: Request of maintainer, superseded by libsha-ocaml.
- amavis-ng — AMaViS "Next Generation" helper program for Milter
Bug#386888: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, broken.
- convertfs — In-place filesystem conversion
Bug#386967: Request of maintainer, orphaned, unsuitable for release.
- libconfigfile-perl — Parses simple configuration files
Bug#387023: Request of maintainer, superseded by libconfig-file-perl.
- gnoise — GTK+ based wave file editor
Bug#387130: Request of maintainer, out-of-date.
- guikachu — Graphical PalmOS resource editor
Bug#387499: Request of QA, RC-buggy, uninstallable, unmaintained.
- kudzu — The Red Hat Linux hardware probing tool
Bug#387638: Request of maintainer, FTBFS, not in etch, obsolete.
- typo3-quickstart — Typo3 Quickstart package with example pagetree
Bug#388764: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- typo3-testsite — Site package to show the abilities of Typo3
Bug#388767: Request of QA, obsolete.
- grubconf — GNOME2 based GNU GRUB configuration editor
Bug#389090: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, RC-buggy.
- libtk-png-perl — Perl5 module with PNG loader for Tk::Photo
Bug#389676: Request of maintainer, superseded by perl-tk, no rev-deps.
- slate — Virtual machine for Slate, a high-level programming language
Bug#389883: Request of maintainer, practically abandoned upstream, RC-buggy.
- libpolyxmass — Mass spectrometry library - development files
Bug#390640: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- kimdaba — KDE tool for indexing, searching and viewing images by keywords
Bug#391252: Request of QA, superseded by kphotoalbum.
- gxmms — Simple GNOME applet to control the basic functions of BMP
Bug#391415: Request of QA, superseded by playground.
- boson-base — OpenGL wargame for KDE
Bug#391444: Request of maintainer, superseded by boson.
- bamboo — Website creation tool with wiki-like features
Bug#391652: Request of maintainer, out-of-date.
- odontolinux — Dental office management software (PHP4 + PostgreSQL)
Bug#391889: Request of QA, RC-buggy, no users, unmaintained, abandoned upstream.
- bricolage — Virtual Package to install full Bricolage CMS
Bug#392206: Request of maintainer, orphaned, shouldn't be released.
- libapache2-mod-layout — Apache2 web page content wrapper
Bug#392229: Request of maintainer, orphaned, buggy.
- gnome-keyring-sharp — C# bindings for the GNOME Keyring API
Bug#392427: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- tarcust — Tarball filter
Bug#392868: Request of maintainer, superseded by tardy.
- statdataml — GNU Octave package for XML-based data exchange
Bug#392896: Request of QA, orphaned, better solutions exist.
- gtkdevice — GNU R Gtk device driver package
Bug#392898: Request of maintainer, superseded by r-cran-cairodevice.
- honyaku-el — Honyaku-damashii client for emacsen
Bug#392901: Request of QA, essentially useless.
- wmbio — Dockapp for windowmaker, which shows biorhythms
Bug#393028: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, very few users.
- libsaxpath-java — Java XPath engine for use on a variety of XML object models
Bug#393639: Request of maintainer, obsolete, abandoned upstream, superseded by libjaxen-java.
- openoffice.org-soikko — Finnish spell checking and hyphenation for OpenOffice.org
Bug#394862: Request of maintainer, unmaintained upstream, buggy, non-free, superseded by -voikko.
- alicq — Flexible ICQ client in pure Tcl/Tk
Bug#394968: Request of QA, abandoned upstream, orphaned, broken.
- rsjog — Handler for Sony Vaio "Jog Dial"
Bug#394969: Request of QA, abandoned upstream, orphaned, out-of-date.
- rageircd — Versatile and flexible IRC Server daemon
Bug#395345: Request of maintainer, unsuitable for unstable.
- hubcot — USB Hub mascot - utility
Bug#395502: Request of QA, RC-buggy, 2.4 kernel only.
- wftk — WorldForge Toolkit - a C++ widget toolkit
Bug#395914: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy.
- felt — Package for introductory level finite element analysis
Bug#395937: Request of QA, RC-buggy, unmaintained.
- linpac — Terminal for packet radio with mail client
Bug#395957: Request of QA, RC-buggy, unmaintained.
- raccess — Security Tool to audit remote systems
Bug#396202: Request of QA, obsolete, RC-buggy; abandoned upstream.
- db2latex-xsl — Stylesheets for processing DocBook XML files to LaTeX2e
Bug#396238: Request of QA, RC-buggy, abandoned upstream, replacement exists.
- preview-latex — Render LaTeX environments within Emacs
Bug#396602: Request of QA, obsolete.
- chetcpasswd — Change passwords using the browser
Bug#397241: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy, security issues.
- zinc-compiler — Compiler of Zinc, a functional logic programming language
Bug#397687: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, RC-buggy.
- wildmenus.bundle — Bundle for GNUstep applications to have a horizontal main menu
Bug#398389: Request of maintainer, superseded by etoile.
- typo3-site-installer — Typo3 site installer
Bug#398576: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, broken.
- vdrift-data — Data files for vdrift, a racing simulation
Bug#398678: Request of maintainer, superseded by vdrift.
- dmenu — Dynamic menu
Bug#398828: Request of maintainer, superseded by dwm-tools.
- gecko-sharp — CLI binding for the GtkMozEmbed library
Bug#400084: Request of maintainer, superseded by gecko-sharp2, RC-buggy.
- lukemftpd — Enhanced FTP daemon from NetBSD
Bug#400281: Request of QA, unmaintained.
- tfm-arphic — Arphic "AR PL KaitiM Big5" TrueType font TeX font metric data
Bug#400282: Request of QA, superseded by latex-cjk-chinese-arphic.
- dbbalancer — PostgreSQL connection pool, load balancer and write-repl
Bug#400680: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream, superseded by pgpool.
- zope-docfindereverywhere — Find documentation for a Zope product using a doc tab
Bug#400729: Request of maintainer, unmaintained upstream, superseded by zope-docfindertab.
- kernel-image-speakup-i386 — Linux kernel specific documentation for version 2.4.27-speakup
Bug#400845: Request of maintainer, out-of-date, broken with 2.6 kernels.
- zope-cmfforum — Forum module for the Zope content management framework
Bug#400864: Request of maintainer, unmaintained, does not work with current version of Plone in unstable.
- xnap-snapshot — Powerful Java filesharing client
Bug#401139: Request of QA, RC-buggy, unmaintained.
- xnap — Plugin-based filesharing client
Bug#401140: Request of QA, RC-buggy, unmaintained.
- python2.3-doc — Documentation for the high-level object-oriented language Python
Bug#401406: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- sodipodi — Vector based drawing program
Bug#402037: Request of maintainer, superseded by inkscape.
- hula — integrated mail & calendar system with simple interface
Bug#402125: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy and potentially abandoned upstream.
- pftp — Fast file transfer program
Bug#402554: Request of maintainer, not useful anymore.
- libadabindx — Ada binding to the X Window System and *tif
Bug#402587: Request of maintainer, orphaned, unmaintained upstream, RC-buggy, unused.
- motifnls — Files needed to run some Motif applications
Bug#402774: Request of maintainer, RC-buggy, obsolete.
- mozilla-locale-sl — Mozilla Slovenian Language/Region Pack
Bug#384179: Request of maintainer, depends on obsolete Mozilla.
- tktable — Table extension for Tcl/Tk
Bug#387714: Request of maintainer, superseded by tktable2.9.
- mozilla-locale-no-nb — Mozilla Norwegian bokmål language add-on
Bug#388530: Request of maintainer, Mozilla is obsolete.
- lodju — Photo organiser and web gallery maker
Bug#390735: Request of maintainer, unused.
- initrd-netboot — Net-bootable kernel for use with diskless systems
Bug#393091: Request of QA, unusable, broken.
- initrd-tools — Tools to create initrd image for prepackaged Linux kernel
Bug#393092: Request of maintainer, out-of-date, unusable.
- libmal — Library of the functions in malsync
Bug#394544: Request of maintainer, abandoned upstream.
- libpfm2 — IA-64 Performance Monitor (PMU) -- run-time libraries
Bug#394564: Request of maintainer, deprecated, 2.4 kernels only.
- zope-localizer — Help build multilingual web sites and multilingual Zope products
Bug#396720: Request of maintainer, superseded by zope-cps-localizer.
- zope-translationservice — Location-aware translation service for Zope
Bug#396723: Request of maintainer, obsolete, superseded by zope-cps-translationservice.
- zope-cmf1.5 — Zope content management framework (CMF), 1.5 branch
Bug#396780: Request of maintainer, obsolete, superseded by zope-cmf1.6.
- libgtk-mozembed-ruby — Ruby 1.8 binding of GtkMozEmbed, gecko renderer
Bug#396952: Request of maintainer, superseded by ruby-gnome2.
- pdfkit.framework — GNUstep framework for rendering PDF content (library files)
Bug#398857: Request of maintainer, unused, superseded by popplerkit.framework.
- mozilla-locale-es — Mozilla Spanish Language/Region Package (dummy package)
Bug#401141: Request of QA, Mozilla has gone away.
- mozilla-locale-es-es — Mozilla Spanish Language/Region Package
Bug#401142: Request of QA, Mozilla has gone away.
- scripturechecks — Bible translation tool - checker
Bug#401890: Request of maintainer, superseded by bibledit
- fvwm95 — Win95 lookalike Window Manager for X
Bug#404462: Request of QA, request of maintainer, unmaintained, abandoned upstream.
- m17n-env — Set up multilingual X environment
Bug#405034: Request of maintainer, unneeded.
- iceweasel-locale-uk — Iceweasel Ukrainian language/region package
Bug#402913: Request of maintainer, superseded by iceweasel-l10n.
- libgdgeda — GNU EDA -- Electronics design software -- gd development files
Bug#404545: Request of maintainer, obsolete.
- python2.3 — Interactive high-level object-oriented language
Bug#401407: Request of maintainer, superseded by python2.4.
- python-iconvcodec — Python universal Unicode codec, using iconv()
Bug#401634: Request of maintainer, superseded by python2.4.
- python-cjkcodecs — Python Unicode Codecs Collection for CJK Encodings
Bug#401675: Request of QA, superseded by python2.4.
- socketapi — Development package for socketapi1
Bug#340939: Request of QA, superseded by kernel-implementation.
- qla2x00 — Source for the qla2x00 driver for kernel version 2.4
Bug#366743: Request of QA, now part of linux-2.6.
- kernel-patch-2.4-lowlatency — Reduce the latency of the Linux kernel
Bug#384003: Request of QA, obsolete, 2.4 kernel only.
- python-japanese-codecs — Japanese Codecs for Python
Bug#406010: Request of QA, superseded by python2.4.
- python-korean-codecs — Korean Codecs for Python
Bug#406011: Request of QA, superseded by python2.4.
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter. We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your mail at email@example.com.
To receive this newsletter weekly in your mailbox, subscribe to the debian-news mailing list.
Back issues of this newsletter are available.
This issue of Debian Weekly News was edited by Shrini Vasan, Sebastian Feltel, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel and Martin 'Joey' Schulze.