Debian Installer Stretch RC 2 release
February 2nd, 2017
The Debian Installer team is pleased to
announce the second release candidate of the installer for Debian 9
Important change in this release
- A major update of os-prober was included in this release. This
component is responsible for finding other operating systems so
that entries can be added to the bootloader's menu. This update
should fix serious bugs, some of which leading to file system
corruption, but might also trigger some regressions. As usual,
reportbug os-proberfrom the installed system lets you report any issues.
Improvements in this release
- Bump Linux kernel version from 4.8.0-2 to 4.9.0-1.
- Adjust *.so files handling (#851790).
- Improve logging of mounting and setting partitions to ro/rw.
- Use a read-only device-mapper entry when appropriate.
- Skip partition when FS type is LVM2_member (#853277).
- Make os-prober-udeb depend on grub-mount-udeb, and make os-prober depend on grub-common, so that grub-mount is consistently available (#776275).
- Fix detection of /usr partition as a GNU/Linux root partition when /lib* directories are moved to /usr completely (#698733).
- Make the yaboot parser more tolerant (#674561).
- Call dmraid only once.
- Add os-release support (#794409).
- Work harder to avoid trying to mount extended partitions (#784709).
(loader)suffixes on Microsoft operating systems (#787418).
- For more improvements, see: #698598, #694668, #803155, #801631, #851983.
Hardware support changes
- Drop armel/versatile flavour since kernel support was removed.
- mips*: install all NIC modules in the netboot initrd.
- Add machine db entry for Pine64+.
- udeb: Add switch (DSA) drivers to nic-modules (#845075).
- 75 languages are supported in this release.
- Full translation for 12 of them.
Known issues in this release
See the errata for details and a full list of known issues.
Feedback for this release
We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will need are available at our web site.
The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this release.