Debian Security Advisory
DSA-089-2 icecast-server -- remote root exploit (and others)
- Date Reported:
- 05 Dec 2001
- Affected Packages:
- Security database references:
- In the Bugtraq database (at SecurityFocus): BugTraq ID 2264, BugTraq ID 2932, BugTraq ID 2933.
In Mitre's CVE dictionary: CVE-2001-0784, CVE-2001-1083, CVE-2001-1230.
- More information:
The icecast-server (a streaming music server) package as distributed in Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 has several security problems:
- if a client added a / after the filename of a file to be downloaded the server would crash
- by escaping dots as E it was possible to circumvent security measures and download arbitrary files
- there were several buffer overflows that could be exploited to gain root access
These have been fixed in version 1.3.10-1, and we strongly recommend that you upgrade your icecast-server package immediately.
The i386 package mentioned in the DSA-089-1 advisory was incorrectly compiled and will not run on Debian GNU/Linux potato machines. This has been corrected in version 1.3.10-1.1.
- Fixed in:
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato)
- Intel IA-32:
- Motorola 680x0:
- Sun Sparc: