Information for CD vendors
If you want to sell CDs containing Debian, the most important ideas you should understand are the following:
- There are no restrictions on redistribution of the main Debian
We make sure that all of the software in the main distribution is released under a license that complies with the Debian Free Software Guidelines.
- Debian does not sell any products.
- Debian is a volunteer organization.
- If you decide to sell CDs containing any software from the non-free or non-US portions of Debian, it is up to you, the vendor, to comply with any applicable laws. In particular, you must negotiate any required licenses for material in non-free yourself.
- Many of the programs on the CDs are distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Please read the license information on how to comply with the GPL.
- Debian is a trademark, only reasonable use of this trademark is allowed.
There are three possibilities for those who want to sell Debian CDs:
- Become a reseller of an existing vendor.
Use the list of known vendors of Debian CDs if you are looking for someone to act as a supplier. It is important that Debian remain impartial so we will not recommend suppliers.
- Produce your own CDs using the Official Debian
Note that it is possible to sell the
Official Debian CD, and add an extra disk containing vendor additions and still use the term
Official Debian CD.
Note: if you just want to install Debian, then you do not want these images, but want to do a network install or buy a CD.
- Produce your own custom CDs.
This requires you to have a local copy of the Debian archive. Creating custom disks is not difficult, but it is the vendors responsibility to test the disks before shipping. There have been problems in the past with vendors selling customized CDs which are not up to Debian's standards. For this reason, use of the term
Official Debian CDis reserved for those who sell disks made from the Official Debian CD Images.
Requirements for being added to the vendor list
If you would like to be listed on the Debian vendors page, please use our CD vendor submission form. Your submission will only be accepted if it fulfills the following requirements:
- Only one entry in the list is allowed for each company! If your company operates web shops under several domains, you may only submit one of them. Any attempt to submit more than one shop will cause all of your shops to be removed permanently. This is because in our view, in that case you would be trying to deceive us and our users. Please only submit one entry!
- The website you submit should list exactly what version of Debian you are offering, and the architectures for which it is offered.
- The website should offer the current stable Debian release (or a more recent release like testing/unstable).
- Furthermore, your web pages need to include prices for the disks and for shipping.
- Finally, there must be information on the page on how to contact you, both electronically (email address or email form) and offline (postal address).