Re: Write problems with unbranded DVD[+-]RW drive...

>From: "MacArthur, Ian  (UK)" <ian.macarthur@baesystems.com>

>At the weekend I got an unbranded DVD writer - I was in a local electronics shop, it was on offer very cheap. I have *a lot* of data to archive, and it seems like a bargain...
>Claims to support + and - RW writing.
>(The retail box is marked PIKA ONE, but the drive itself is unbranded.)

>Installed the latest cdrtools from source. It's what I know, so it seemed sensible to stick with it, it's always worked well before...
>Installed in place of my CD burner, burned some test CD's with cdrecord, all worked fine.
>Installed Ogle and checked I could watch DVD's smoothly - worked fine.
>Installed cdrecord-ProDVD test binary.

>A test run -dummy went smoothly, but the actual burn failed (see sample failure below).
>This is with Verbatim 4x DVD-R media, in case that matters.
>Fiddled about with hdparm in case my DMA settings were a problem, no better.

>Tests with dvdrecord fail in exactly the same fashion (and again the dummy run is good.)

>(coaster count now at 4 and rising...)

>However, tests with dvd+rw-tools (my 3rd scheme...!) have all worked perfectly, both with DVD-R and DVD+RW media, so I guess that basic drive is OK.
>At least, I can read the disks it's written back on my Mac, so I guess that's OK!

>Is it likely something in my setup that's upsetting the cdrecord derived tools?
>How do I pin this down and fix it?

>Base system is linux, with a 2.4.16 kernel, latest cdrtools tarball... what else do we need to know?

>TIA for input.

>Current Secsize: 2048
>Blocks total: 2298496 Blocks current: 2298496 Blocks remaining: 2021072
>Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in real TAO mode for single session.
>Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
>Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
>BURN-Free is OFF.
>Starting new track at sector: 0
>Track 01:    0 of  541 MB written./home/ian/src/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc: Input/outp
>ut error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
>CDB:  2A 00 00 00 01 F0 00 00 1F 00
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>Sense Bytes: 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00
>Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, deferred error, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>cmd finished after 50.404s timeout 100s

As this happens after 1 MB (<= than the RAM size) it may be a buffer underrun.
Check transfer speeds.....

It however looks like the drives does not like the medium. Call cdrecord -atip

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling