Re: Re: DVD recording adventures continued

>From fl@mail.goerlich-pharma.com  Fri Nov 21 22:03:53 2003

>> Why do you believe that the drive does not work at all with cdrecord?
>> I could use it with my tests...

>Well, just read my threads in the list for details.

Well, I thought this was a growisofs specific thread and did not read it....
I have currently a lot of problems in keeping track with incoming mail.

It is a known fact that the firmware in the 708 is not what I would expect.
If you insert a medium that it doesn"t like, then it behaves as if the drive
is broken. People who don't know cdrecord well enough could even believe that
cdrecord was broken.

Did you ever test with several different media? NOte that there are reports
that even the media that are listet on Plextor"s site may not work.

>In short: when I had the NEC before, I used proDVD for recording
>DVD+R without problems - but DVD-R did not work (find a lot of
>details/logs in the thread "DVD recording adventures", started
>somewhere at beginning of November, cant check as archive seems to
>be down currently).

The NEC is known not to work with all media. This is the behavior
intended by NEC! They don't like the drive to work with unknown media.
Instead they seem to only write to well known (what they tested) media.

The PIoneer drives in contrast will try to write to any medium but they
will use a specific slow write strategy in this case.

>Now with the Plextor, DVD-R does not work in the same way.

Well, it has the same problems as NEC. Both companies are far away from the
experience Pioneer has. Note that Pioneer started in september 1997 - this
is more than 6 years of experience. NEC has 2 years of experience and Plextor
has only half a year of experience.

>My try with DVD+R recorded up to 100%, but got stuck when closing
>track/session. See thread "DVD recording adventures continued",

There is another problem with DVD+, it seems that all DVD+ drives not made by
Ricoh don't follow the SCSI standards.....

As you may have noticed, I was a bit disappointed by some DVD experiences
in the first half of this year. I spend a lot of time with Linux kernel bugs
that are only present because the Linux Polit office kernel development model
creates more and more problems for making Linux ready for the future.
Linus Torvalds is one of the biggest problems for Linux :-( but let is stay
closer to the topic:

All newer DVD writers have problems in the firmware and don't follow SCSI
standards if they are supporting DVD+. I guess this is a result of the
marketing strategy of Ricoh. Ricoh did try to dominate the DVD+ market and
miserably failed. After that time, a lot of companies started with DVD+ drives
but did lack experience because they have been forced to buy Ricoh OEM drives
before.

Well I have been very busy and very productive with Free/Open SOurce software
in the past and did write 10000 new lines of code for "star" and modified
another 5000 old lines. Star now is close before being a universal portable
backup tool too.

True Incremental backups already work, incremental restores have to be
implemented. I intended to do this before starting again with cdrecord, but
it seems that I will start again with cdrecord earlier....

Note that unlike most software, my programs are higly portable and you may not
notice that I e.g. put a lot of effort into the OS/2 port or a new upcoming
vanilla DOS port.

>well, this one :) I only can use the Plextor successfully with
>growisofs, but not with a certain medium brand (DVD+R Imation).
>Verbatim, Ricoh and cheap Platinum worked (+R), and cheap -R
>from Sky and Intenso.
>Perhaps you can tell something when looking at the proDVD-output.

The Close DVD+R problem is known and I am going to fix this soon....
For DVD-R problems with the 708, I would need information.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling