Re: dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8: File is too large

> Generally speaking advice is to value your ISOFS backups! You don't know
> where you would *have to* access backuped data, so stick to 2GB-2KB
> fragments without regards to *anything*. A.

Therefore the constraints with my advice to write the tar.gz file
to DVD without an ISO wrap. That would be readable on any Unix.
Provided the local tar is able to unpack the fat archive at all
and there are no files in the archive which are too big for the local
file system. No new obstacle added by the DVD media, thus.

Problem is: i got no idea what to do with such a DVD on an old Mac OS
or on Windows. I guess there are ways to read it, though.

I'm now testing automated splitting of such files within my own
software (coward's limit: 2047m). That'll need up to 4.7 GB of
disk buffer. I cannot imagine a method to mix on-the-fly file parts
with usual mkisofs input from disk directories. Or to fiddle
disk directories into something like -stream-media-size  :(

That is, i could dream of an input address notation for mkisofs
which allows to describe pieces of disk files. Like
  -cut /fat_file_part_1_of_2=/fat_file 0 2146435072
meaning : graft /fat_file_part_1_of_2 into the ISO image using
of /fat_file only 2047 MB starting at byte 0.

Currently i cut those pieces myself and store them in a buffer
directory. So mkisofs gets not faced with unusual wishes.
It seems to work ... up to now. And with 650 MB pieces it makes
a nice feature for CD backups.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas