Re: DNS-like idea for SCSI (NIS+ maybe)

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 06:56, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> > > Check the man page of cdrecord for a decription of the features
> > > that are handled by /etc/default/cdrecord
> >
> > Hmmm, that's pretty good.
> >
> > Do you think you could make all the other programs
> > use that file too? If I define my CD-RW as QueFire
> > in that file, then "mount QueFire /mnt" had ought
> > to mount it I think. Also, "dd if=QueFire" should
> > read from the device, and "cat QueFire" too. It could
> > get kind of confusing if I had a file named QueFire
> > as well though. Perhaps there is a better solution?
>
> It seems that you don't know that "dd" uses a completely different access
> method for the device.

That's an implementation detail that doesn't need
to be exposed to the user.

Consider the "ping" program. It uses a completely
different access method for networking than, say,
a web browser. It builds raw packets itself, then
injects them somewhat directly into the stream of
outgoing packets. In spite of this, I can use the
same friendly names as I use in my web browser.
I can do "ping www.sun.com" if I like, instead of
giving the raw IP address.

So, cdrecord is like ping, and dd is like the web
browser. Just as ping builds raw packets itself,
cdrecord builds raw SCSI commands itself. That's
fine. Just as ping is compatible with the addressing
used by web browsers, cdrecord can be compatible
with the addressing used by dd.

Would you want ping to only accept numbers? Why?

Names can be handled by Windows, FreeBSD, MacOS X,
Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and IRIX.
That's everything that isn't end-of-lifed.