Re: Feature suggestion for mkisofs

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> It is sometimes (perhaps often) desirable to have the content of an ISO
> filesystem reflect the directory information from which it was taken.
> That is, if I back up subdirectories FOO and BAR, I would not want to
> have the contents of those two directories mixed in the lowest level of
> the ISO output. I can't think of a time when I ever wanted to do that,
> although when mkisofs first came out I did it anyway ;-)
>
> What I would like is an option which preserves path information, such that
>   mkisofs -o example.iso -R -preserve-path FOO BAR
> would produce the same thing as
>   mkisofs -o current.iso -R -graft-points FOO=FOO BAR=BAR
>
> I have a raft of small scripts which produce this effect for use with
> the -path-list option, but it is an ugly thing to do, hard to explain to
> beginners, and probably a source of irritation to other people as well
> as to me. It would eliminate a step when using find to identify data to
> include, both from the freestanding command and the embedded find
> feature being developed for the alpha versions, which will probably be
> moved to production at some time.

This may make sense after I did remove the old non-libfind based directory
traversal code. The libfind based code is very close to this kind of interface.

But the libfind based code is currently a bit slower than the old directory
traversal code. If I have time do implement some optimizations, this may look
different.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)