Re: Linux problems

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

Are you unwilling or unable to understand?

you need to use the cue file!

Of course, what has that to do with anything? Using with cuefile I need to use -sao, and if I create with 2336 sectors I assume it will work better with "--sectors-2336" although I tried without that as well.

So you like to prove that you are unwilling to learn and that you only
like to repeat the same nonsense you did write already many times before?

Is there a chance that you will read the documentation for cdrecord and the one
for vcdimager? You do not seem to be interested in a solution but in writing offensive rants only. Otherwise, you did follow the advise you have been given. Vcdimager
creates a *.cue and a *.bin file. Cdrecord allows you to use cuefile=xxx.bin
to write VCDs correctly.

No, "without error messages" doesn't mean "correctly," "works after you burn it" means correctly. Note yet again, yes I used the cuefile, I tried creating it with standard sectors, I tied creating the cuefile with 2336 byte sectors, I tried burning with just -sao and with cdrecord 2336 byte sector option. They all write media with a valid ISO9660 in track one and don't work in a DVD player.
If you continue to ignore people who like to help you, please do not also repeat your lies that claim that there is a problem. The only problem I see is you, because you refuse to follow any advise.

Anything will fail if you operate it against the advise of the documentation!

cdrecord 01.01a31 was current when I tried it.
The needed support has been added to the end of last year.
That support is in the Fedora version as well, which doesn't complain about using the real name of the device and doesn't need to be run as root, so can be used on production systems.
This is of course a lie.
You make these blanket statements... which you you think is untrue, that 01.01a31 was current, that the other version I have knows about curfile=, that it doesn't pretend to malfunction with real device names, or that all software except your has been updated not to need root access?

Surely you don't suggest that any production system would give all users root password to run your software?

You continue to write offensive lies!

RedHat did not upgrade cdrecord to a more recent version since more than
2 years. Why do you claim that it supports things that have been added less
than a year ago?

Your saying this doesn't make it true, the "cdrecord" identifies as Wodim 1.1.6, it does allow cuefiles, as you would know if you actually tried the software. Unfortunately that also fails to make usable VCDs.
In addition, it seems that you did not learn the UNIX basics: The need to install cdrecord suid root is the will of Linus Torvalds. But installing cdrecord suid root will definitely not give the root passwd to all users.

There may be an interaction between cdrtools and standard security, I think it saw a warning from selinux when I was testing. I may be able to set some attributes on the program which will allow it to work. Just turning on the setuid bit still gets me the message about "can't SCSI commands" for burning commands. Logging in as root allows me to run the program, but doesn't solve the problem.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc