Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Hi,

> > MMC-5 4.3.6.2.2
Bill Davidsen:
> Thanks, I saved that bit so I can quote it

Overview of media and write types:

  CD-R[W] - Packet fixed. Could allow non-seamless writing
            without burn-proof. Used for formatted Mt.Rainier
            media which allow random access writing.
          - Packet variable. Few known. Generalization of TAO.
          - TAO. One single variable sized packet forms the track.
          - RAW. One single data stream forms the whole track.
            You have to provide format entrails of the sectors.
            Several subformats with different parameter sets
            exist.
          - SAO. One single data stream forms the whole session
            resp. the whole disc. You have to announce the track
            layout and formats by a previously submitted form,
            the cue sheet.
  TAO is capable of multi-session.
  SAO can be used for a first session. If the disc is not finalized afterwards
  then TAO sessions can be appended.
  Audio versus data is a property of sectors, not necessarily of a whole
  session. To mix audio and data sectors in one track seems not to be
  possible (maybe via RAW ?).
  Many advanced CD features are not published but in the "Rainbow Books".
  Thus we got much room for confusion and speculation.

  DVD-R[W] - Packet fixed 32 kB (alias Incremental Streaming).
             Can be used for multi-session if disc is not finalized after
             the session. Fast blanked DVD-RW cannot do this mode.
             Use cases similar to CD TAO.
           - Disc-At-Once.
             Single track of fixed size. Disc always gets finalized.
             Use cases similar to single-track CD SAO.
           - Formatted. Fixed size packet mode similar to Mt.Rainier
             resp. DVD-RAM. "Rigid Restricted Overwrite" means you
             have to write in 32 kB blocks to 32 kB aligned addresses
             in contrast to 2 kB on DVD-RAM.
             See multi-session remark about DVD+RW.

  DVD+R    - Packet fixed 32 kB.
             Can be used for multi-session if disc is not finalized after
             the session.

  DVD+RW   - Formatted. Fixed size packet mode similar to Mt.Rainier
             resp. DVD-RAM. Writing is performed in 32 kB blocks but
             the drive will accept and handle 2 kB aligned requests
             with poor performance.
             No session history on media. Thus no multi-session unless
             the session can be recognized by data content (growisofs).

  DVD-RAM  - Formatted. Fixed size packet mode (original Mt.Rainier ?)
             with 2 kB granularity and write success verification.
             In default mode, bad sectors are handled automatically and
             slowly.
             The luxury and pedantic version of DVD+RW.

All DVD media are restricted to data blocks. No Audio. No RAW.
DVD-R[W] are quite similar to CD-R[W]. DVD+RW and DVD-RAM want
to be hard disks. DVD+R seems to strive for a new kind of
multi-streaming: You can have open 16 tracks at once.

Pointers to information sources (mainly in MMC) can be found in
  http://libburnia-project.org/browser/libburn/trunk/doc/cookbook.txt?format=raw

Sponsors wanted for exploration of DVD DL and BD media.

> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
> I really wish I fully understood all of the modes with "/"

I can only guess here. R96P, R96R, R16 depict parameter sets
for raw sectors. These extra data get added to the paylod by the
burn program so they can be inserted into the sector entrails.
SAO/ and RAW/ probably depict multi-track and single-track sessions.
LAYER_JUMP is a term from DVD DL specs.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas