Re: [Debconf-discuss] Registration for DebConf9 opened

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 11. März 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> it going to cost the conference org).  Is there an intent to provide such
> information at a later date, and to reset people's answers in penta to
> 'no'?

Yes.

> I would personally add that, given the current economic circumstances, it
> might be reasonable to consider forgoing the day trip as a formal event
> within DebConf.  I gather that sponsorship has already been tight as of the
> previous DebConf owing to sponsors tightening their belts, and it might be
> wise for us to consider doing the same.

Well, we could do it like in previous year(s?), where the participants payed.
I think having a social, non hacking activity in the big room is a very good
thing.

> > Attendees that register late (after April 15th) will need to pay at least
> > the Professional fee (EUR 300).
> May I ask why this is?  Late planners are already hit with the double
> penalty of higher plane ticket prices and ineligibility for sponsorship; is
> there some inherent reason that it's less possible to permit free
> attendance for those who plan later?

We've done the same at Debconf8 (and btw we reserve the right to lower the
price ;-) It is done, so we can calculate our budget and people can still
attend after we fixed it.

"ineligibility for sponsorship" is exactly that. If you register late, you
dont get sponsorship. No travel sponsorship, but also no food or accomodation
sponsorhip. It's not as if registering early is hard. (Or that we have a
penalty for people registering and then canceling, like a month before. (But
we will penalty people canceling late or not at all. Probably just by taking
a note to decrease their chances for travel sponsoring the next year, but
still.))

Help to improve the sponsorship handling is welcome.

regards,
	Holger