Re: about the video+administration meeting...

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 06:53, John Lightsey wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 01:07 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
>
> >    I'd recommend recording directly to harddrive.  A laptop and a USB
> > harddrive can record a day's worth of video.  I have aslo suggested
> > sending the DV stream over the network to a server with big disks.
> > That would help a lot with timely compression and publishing.
>
> This sounds good to me if it will work reliably.

 It works like a charm.  If you have large file support and
firewire support that is not flaky, it is just as reliable as
tape.  I would use laptops, since they run on battery.

 I prefer dvgrab.  I don't need GUI for batch jobs.

 Is there a simple way to "tee" a file to a server;
that is, copying the file while it is grabbed?  That
would allow the laptop to buffer several gigabytes,
in case of network outages.

>  I haven't experimented with recording directly to PC
> but it would eliminate quite a bit of wasted time.

 Indeed!  Real-time compression and streaming from the laptop is also
possible, if the laptop is powerful.  But let's solve one problem at
a time...

> I don't have a USB drive to try it out on, but I can try recording a 5
> or 6 hour stretch of video directly to an IDE drive when I get some free
> time next week.

 You will need USB highspeed (USB2) for grabbing.  USB1 would be
useless for our purposes.  USB drives or network transfers could
be used during long breaks.  I can make room for 2-3 hours
continuous recording on my laptop.

--
 Herman Robak