Re: [Debconf-team] [venue] hours for security

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM, micah anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:58:04 -0400, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM, micah anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:

>> > security

>> > It seems acceptable to me as well... the few thousand more to have the
>> > place open 24/7 seems excessive.
>> >
>> > Did I miss when the hacklabs would be able to be open in the morning?
>> >

>> If I am reading http://whiteboard.debian.net/rooms_security.txt correctly,
>> it seems Richard's proposal for Mudd hacklabs availability was 8am-1am for
>> DebCamp and  8am-3am for DebConf.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, i missed it.
>
>> It's still unclear to me what the options are for true 24/7 hacking, as we
>> can't really rely on the Dorm lounges. I'm also not sure where extended
>> hacklab hours are more important Camp or Conf?
>
> My understanding is that the options are:
>
> a. 24/7 in Mudd costs a few thousand more for security detail
> b. there is always dorm lounges for hacking after 1am, however dorms are
> restricted to those who are in rooms at the dorm
> c. extended hacklab hours during debconf would give more "bang for the
> buck" because many more people would be potentially using it

Ok so my two cents. Dorm lounges don't have a lot of capacity, so they
probably shouldn't be relied on as a late night option during DebConf.
They would probably be an option during DebCamp.

I'm wondering if we want to consider further restricting the 8am-1am
hours during DebCamp, to make the DebConf hacklab 24 hours. We'd need
to shift 5 hours so that would make the DebCamp hacklab hours 8am-8pm.
Hmm.. maybe shift three hours, and pay the extra $275 x 2 = $550. That
way for $550 we could have the DebConf hacklab be open 24 hours and,
and DebCamp be open from 8am-11pm.

Thoughts?

-Brian