Re: [Debconf-team] DPL approved budget for DebConf13

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 08:17:03PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi zack, hi -team,
>
> in two days on Wednesday, the 7th at 19 UTC, we'll have another IRC meeting on
> #debconf-team, to hopefully finally settle on a venue, hopefully based on a
> serious^wsane budget(s plans).
>
> These budgets (AIUI) are still missing, so this mail is mostly about defining
> the process, to get a DPL pre-approved budget. Please everybody read:

I think it's too early to be able to define any kind of debian
guarantees.  There could be any amount of sponsorship, and trying to
decide how much to spend before we know how much we'll have isn't a
good idea.  And for approving something with a deficit now, the
deficit (or risk) would be far too large to be acceptable, so it must
wait.  It will only get better.

The usual plan still would seem to still work: Track sponsorship and
don't expect to spend more than we have raised, add in a bit DC12
surplus to cover gaps, and then cut costs in the end in order to make
a (hopefully larger) DC13 surplus.  This negative feedback loop of
surpluses works well and keeps us long-run zero cost.

- Richard