Re: [Debconf-team] Posters from sponsors?

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 12:40:41PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I've been asked by another guy at ARM about putting up a poster for
>>> ARM. We're sponsors, and he's planning to be announcing something in
>>> my ARM talk on August 29. Any issues with that? Guidelines on what's
>>> possible / reasonable please?
>>
>>My sense is that since one of the higher level (gold and platinum)
>>perks [1] are:
>>1) Logo on banner in conference lobby
>>2) Logo on banner behind talk podiums
>>
>>Posters next to those banners, might kind of dilute the banner perks,
>>since for a fraction of the costs of a Gold/platinum sponsorship, a lower
>>tier sponsor could get much more relative exposure by putting up posters/
>>ads. IE: I am generally not in favor but could see allowing it in certain cases
>>for the highest levels of sponsorship.
>
> :-( That's quite disappointing, I'll be honest. The poster is to help
> publicise a Debian-targeted announcement from ARM in that "State of
> the ARM" talk...

I'm sorry. That was not my intention.  My concern, is that whatever we
decide is
fair to all sponsors, and I wouldn't want it to seem like we are
playing favoritism.

Historically, my understanding was that advertising materials by sponsors were
limited to what they could fit in the "sponsor bag".

If you feel that a strong case could be made for the poster being educational
and are part of the presentation, maybe that's the answer? (As Patty noted
it needs to be on a podium anyway.)

Perhaps some thoughts from one of the chairs?

Cheers,
Brian