Re: [Debconf-team] Orga sprint meetings tomorrow 10:00 and 16:00, room Amsterdam

Am 18.08.2015 um 08:37 schrieb Eric Dantan Rzewnicki:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 07:53:11PM +0200, Daniel Lange wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

there are two sprint meetings for orga topics tomorrow:

13 Aug 10:00     Amsterdam     DebConf confmanagement system sprint
13 Aug 16:00     Amsterdam     DebConf orga sprint
Will there be somesort of report of what occurred in the afternoon orga
sprint?

The idea of that sprint was that people could speak up and name issues the are seeing in a safe, inter-personal and contained environment. Hence we also opted to not video tape the discussion which I still consider the right thing now with a few days of temporal distance to the meeting.

My personal view of the discussion is that we would need many more of these sessions to reconcile deep and somewhat indurated differences in the interpretation and implementation of the Debconf goals (http://debconf.org/goals.shtml). The goal themselves are universally accepted. Some have voiced they'd need to be amended/substantiated but nobody asked for changes. Thats is a good and stable basis to work from. I personally view many more of these sessions as unrealistic to occur esp. as we have identified a tendency of the group to not universally support decisions taken and cease discussion. People speak up after a decision has been taken and question everything again and again. This is something we need to get sorted first. I'm happy to help facilitate whatever people feel moves us forward as a team.

During the discussion the chairs present have been asked to clarify the chairs' role in where they lead (and possibly reserve a right to decide) and where they support (and the lead and decision right is with the local DCxx team). I'm sure we'll see some further discussion and hopefully a guiding statement once there is a good proposal for this.

The content team has been asked to open up a bit and allow for more participation by people caring for the content (streams).

My personal proposal is to implement a typical project organization for DC16 complementing the team structure (https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Teams) to get decisions and actions more streamlined. This will prevent some of the tensions we have been seeing in the last year to just occur again and reduce the burn-out risk for the people involved. Such a more formal organization would also then lead to a sample set of decision scopes that could serve as a template for future years.

The meeting has deliberately not aimed for any type of decisions. So all the above is just my personal report of what has been discussed, requested and proposed. No more, no less.

Bernelle has written about the emotional experience of the meeting in much more beautiful words than I'd even be capable of.
I recommend reading http://indiebio.yousemble.com/debconf-1

Kind regards,
Daniel