Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf17 bids - DebConf Committee

also sprach Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> [2016-01-27 03:56 +1300]:
> > I was trying to not diverge too much away from the process. But
> > if there's no strong objection to skipping directly to the Bid
> > Decision Meeting, that works for me too!
>
> As far as I can remember this was a tragic experience.

It was made tragic by some, yes. It came quite as a surprise to most
that we even had to have a second meeting in the last two years.

> If a meeting before the decision meeting has no many points to
> discuss, then it will be quick and no precious time from committee
> will be spent.

If we have the necessary discipline to do this, then sure, having
a point of synchronisation is never wrong. Still, questions and team
introductions should probably still happen on the mailing list
before the meeting, don't you think?

And it should go without saying that all committee members are
familiar with the bids and the mailing list discussions by the time
the meeting commences.

Let's try not to enslave us to protocols too much. Several times in
the past and especially in the last two years, a bid decision could
have been made during (or even before) the status meeting, but we
shunned it for the sake of sticking to "the procedure". Of course
it's important to be fair to all teams, but let's not ignore the
signs and rule out the possibility to fast-track the decision when
it's quite clear that not much will change in the two weeks between
meetings.

An earlier decision and one less meeting puts the winning team on
track faster, and wastes less time of the committee and the other
teams, who should be encouraged to try again next year. Sometimes it
might even make sense to cast a decision for the next two years!

Keep in mind: the committee's decision is a guess at who'll be able
to pull off a good conference. It's not a guarantee for a good
conference, and we should not treat it as the holy grail. As always,
a decision made earlier is better than taking too long to make
a perfect decision. Once a decision is made, bid plans turn into
a concrete, tangible challenge and eventually into a successful
conference…

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16