Re: debconf6 video wishlist :)

Hi Holger,
Thanks for that list, I also hope to be able to get a bit more active
with the preparations, since some things in real live have cleared.

I have lots of questions for details here:

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:19 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> [...]
>
> To be able to plan and request the debconf6 infrastructure, I would like to
> collect the video teams wishlist now:

Good idea! (I'll put that on a wiki page DebConf6VideoRequirements
within the next days).

I guess the following requirements list is for the goal of doing the
video stuff the same way as on debconf5.
Should we maybe at least try to prepare the video stuff for debconf6 so
we _can_ do live streaming, additonally, also - in case we get the
necessary hard- and software, as well as network infrastructure
together? That would add some stuff to the requirements list, but I
think it would be really cool.

> We want/need
> - dedicated video-editing room
> - LDAP-server with account data for comas, website and all machines at
> debconf6; besides the obvious users (everyone) we also want a videoteam-group
> to grant special permissions like write on the videoraid etc.

For what will we need account data for comas? Or do you mean direct
access to the talk's data in comas so the video team has that available
in machone readable format, as I mentioned in the debconf5 learning
page?

> - two gigabit-switches: one in the server room and another in the
> video-editing room
> - a 2TB-raid with nfs-mounts on all video machines (see below), writeable for
> videogroup members
> - two video-laptops big internal disks, firewire and external usb-hd-cases

We should name an explicit number for "big" - is 100GB enough for the
internals, and 300GB for the externals? Plus, maybe we should also name
explicit numbers for RAM and CPU power, like 3GHZ Pentium and 2GB RAM.
I just remember, there are some numbers at the learnings page in the
wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/DebConf5VideoLearnings
(This page also has some other interesting information for DebConf6)

> - two presentation laptops with acroread, evince, xpdf, opera, istanbul
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=316503) and whatnot?!

Sounds good. Maybe we could also provide a virtual machine software in
case somebody wants to present stuff that needs to run directly on the
presentation system, but maybe that's too much and not needed. Nah,
"apt-get install qemu" is not really much to do :)
What about gromit? Is istanbul better than that?

> - the two build-machines from debconf5 could be used as number-crunchers for
> the video team - at dc5 these machines where almost not used at all. IMHO be
> should try to get and setup such machines again (they might be used more if
> announce properly and in advance) and make a plan how to use them for video
> (encoding..!) in any case.
> - three video editing desktops with dual-cpus and dual-tfts, two would be ok,
> but three is much nicer...
> - micophones, mixers ?

As I wasn't in the last meetings, do we already know about the technical
and general infrastructure setup available in Mexico? Just looked in the
wiki, but found not info about that, just an infrastructure requirements
list.

> - mandatory software on the video machines:
> 	- at least linux-2.6.12 (for working firewire)
> 	- raw1394-access for users in the videoteam group
> 	- dvgrab, sarge version is ok
> 	- ffmpeg (from cvs)
> 	- ffmpeg2theora (latest version)
> 	- kino, sarge version is ok
> 	- cinelerra-cvs (in a sid chroot, with mount --bind /home)

We probably also need the configurations for all those, I guess most is
in the FAI configuration we used at debconf5 - is that FAI config
complete, or is additional manual work needed for the editing and
recording workstations, as well as the video RAID?

> - nice to have softwhere:
> 	- whereami on the video & presentation laptops
>
> - we have four basic workflows, am I correct ? So we should describe them in a
> manual before debconf6 :-) (So people can more easily join/help...)
> 	- dvgrab etc. (get the raw videos from tape and harddisc on the raid)
> 	- cinelerra (post-processing)
> 	- ffmpeg/ffmpeg2theora (encoding)
> 	- upload to a local mirror and meeting-archives.debian.net

Just for the form: I'd like to propose to refer to the workflows by the
name of the action to be taken instead of the program used when it comes
to document them in the wiki.

Then, we should first record the videos and mix the sound before we
start encoding and stuff :) Isn't dvgrab used to record the video signal
from firewire to harddisk (instead of getting the videos to the raid?)
on the notebooks, first. John said we should not record directly to the
videoraid.

So we have in addition the workflows:

- camera operation and video recording from camera to laptop/usb disk
- sound mixing
- video mixing (maybe not, depends on the infrastructure available)

The recording and mixing workflows are documented in the debconf5
howto's at http://wiki.debian.org/DebConf5VideoVolunteerCoordination
- I'll see if and how I can extract the information from these which is
not location-specific into general debconf-video howto's.
I think the post-processing, encoding and publishing stuff is not
documented in these HowTo's.

In addition, if we want all speakers to use the laptops provided by us,
we have the workflow "using the presentation laptop" or something like
that, while it's preferable to prepare everything so doing the
presentation is nothing more than pressing a button or entering one
"startpresentation" command than to write long documentation.

> Step 5 is creating the dvd(s), but IMHO it's neglectable in this scenario, as
> it's the very last step, likely to be done after debconf. Please object if
> you think different :-)

I didn't look at womble's dvd creation scripts - if they work out of the
box, we can provide dvd's right after the last talk. It would lessen the
risk of losing data while carrying it around after the show. But yes,
priority low.

> It would also be very nice to integrate the papers (incl. their sources) into
> this workflow... I would suggest to add another "job" in our volunteerplan
> (the spreadsheet Henning maintained at debconf5..). This time we should
> collect these files during the conference and upload instantly and together
> with the video.

O.K. we add the workflow/job "collection and publishing of talk papers"
to the list.

For those that can't use the presentaion notebooks, we should have usb
sticks and floppies (I know their dinosaurs, but in case no usb on some
machine) available - so these should be added to the hardware list.

> [...]
> Once we've discussed this I will put up the results into the wiki and announce
> that on debconf6-team to start a discussion there :-)
> [...]

Ah, O.K., you want to do the wiki page I proposed above -  I don't mind
if you do, but I can also start it these days.

Henning