Re: [Debconf-video] [Pkg-icecast-devel] backporting icecast and ezstream

(debian-multimedia@l.d.o and debconf-video@l.dc.o added to Cc:)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:39:07AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 07:15:13PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> >Hello icecast packagers.
> >I'm working with the debconf-video team. We will be running everything
> >on etch for DC8, but there are some bugs in the etch icecast version
> >that we ran into last year and ezstream wasn't packaged for etch. So, I
> >was going to try backporting both. It was suggested in our irc meeting
> >today that I contact you, the maintainers, first.
> >I've done some small amount of backporting other packages, but it's been
> >a few years and that was only for local use. Any help or advice you can
> >give me would be much appreciated. If any of you happened to have time
> >to just do it, the video-team would be very happy, of course. But, I'll
> >try to see what I can do on my own tomorrow anyway.
>
> Here you go:
>
> deb http://debian.jones.dk/ etch icecast
>

> Compiled for i386 and amd64.  Tell me if you need other packages
> backported too.

Excellent! thank you very much. I'll test tomorrow with these. Any
chance you can get them into backports.org? Your personal apt repo is
fine for my personal use and for pre-debconf testing, but I think the
debconf server admins want them in bpo if we are to use them for dc8.

As for other packages ... We need a fixed ffmpeg2theora as I believe the
etch version still has #429937: no large file support. The bug was
closed with 0.19-1. But, _no_ version is currently in testing due to
various issues, unfortunately. So, it would seem this one is not so
simple. Maybe we can just apply the lfs fix to the etch version as we
did last year. I think the videoteam already has our own package for
that. This is only needed on one videoteam box, so I think we probably
don't have to have it at bpo. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

At the moment, the only other thing I can think of is more a "would be
nice" but, not necessary item: libtheora0 in order to take advantage of
the faster decoder (which is actually also used by the encoder, iiuc).
Of course this would mean the others mentioned above would need to be
built against it, I guess, making more work.

Please don't feel obligated to do any more. What you've done is already
a big help. We can also ask the pkg-xiph folks for help. But, of course
much gratitue will ensue if you can help us out some more. :)

Thanks,
Eric Rz.

believed to be clean.