[Debconf-video] Having x265 videos for debconf 2016.

Hi all,

As a viewer I have been very much impressed by x265 and have been by
and large consuming videos which come in those format.

Here's a comparison between the two

http://www.mediaentertainmentinfo.com/2013/10/4-concept-series-what-is-the-difference-between-hevc-h-265-and-h-264-mpeg-4-avc.html

Would there be possibility of encoding and putting videos in the video
archive in x265 format ?

I know that for 60 + videos (which each debconf has) it is a tall
order, I would be interested to help be part to encode them in x265
and maybe somebody uploads them to the video archive  wherever they
have good speeds.

I did ask some encoders I know and it seems a normal one and half hour
video (something like movies) take around 9 hours so looking at videos
from past it should be half of that.

They usually use i7 or AMD quad-core or 8-core machines, between 8-16
GB DDR3 and discrete video cards (usually having 2 GB on card) -
something like AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB

Came across something which might be of interest :-

http://video.stackexchange.com/questions/17582/how-can-i-efficiently-convert-mov-mpeg-4-files-for-long-term-storage

Lastly, most videos I have downloaded in recent past in x265 is about
one and half hour and the file-size was 200~250 MB with no apparent
artefacts (bleeding etc.) on my 17" LED monitor.

If people think this would be good/valuable I would ask my friends to
get some high bitrate videos and start encoding them to x265 to have
some encoding experience before debconf.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल