RE: Re: Re: Can someone spare some CPU time?

Yello

> These don't sound like they were good (or even officially released)
> m68k kernel versions. You apparently did _not_ read the m68k FAQ
> which explains why a specially patched m68k kernel source is
> required to build working m68k kernels.

Sorry but I did. But let's start from the beginning:

I started running Linux some time ago, the system was made up of stuff
downloaded from sunsite, I had a custom kernel compiled by another user, it
had a version of 2.0.34, the system was a bit messy, so I upgraded to
a clean Debian 2.0 install with the current kernel 2.0.33pl1, and
I downloaded the 2.0.33 source (and 2.0.36 when I was available) + patches from sunsite.dk from the
/680x0/2.0/ dir. Every time I tried to compile, the compilere aborted with a fatat error
11, I finaly tracked the error down to some falty simms in my system. But
after repleacing them I just got some new errors (sorry I can't remember
which) But I kept on, I applayed different patches, still nothing working, so
I gave up. But after a while I decided to try again: I downloaded the
source to kernel 2.1.124 (from /680x0/2.1), but it was still the same.
Now I have a Debian 2.1 system (100% new install) . And I decide to download the source of
2.2.10, to get the most out of my old Amiga, but still errors:

sched.c:109: warning: alignment of `aligned_data' is greater than maximum object file alignment
rd.c: In function `rd_load_image':
rd.c:521: warning: int format, long int arg (arg 3)
virgefb.c:1001: warning: #warning FIXME: We should reinit the graphics engine here
process.c:50: warning: alignment of `init_task_union' is greater than maximum object file alignment
bindec.S: Assembler messages:
bindec.S:487: Error: Value of -512 too large for field of 1 bytes at 511
make[1]: *** [bindec.o] Error 1
make: *** [_dir_arch/m68k/fpsp040] Error 2

When I asked for help on this problem I got this answer:

"The Debian m68k 2.2.10 kernel patch package already includes a patch for
this."

(see
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-68k-9912/msg00027.html)

When I first installed Linux I saw a chance to bring some new life to
my amiga, but I found Linux running a bit slow and to eat a lot of
mem, so I thourgt a kernel update would help a little bit.....

Sorry if I wasted your (CPU) time

--
Kind regards,
Henrik Th. Farre