68k linux boot question

Hi all, I'm new to Linux (I know nothing) and I'm trying to install linux
on a Mac Quadra 605. I downloaded the CD archive and put it onto a HFS
partition and installed from there. All seemed OK till the reboot after
initial  installation.
I'm using Penguin-18 to boot and that part is OK. It starts the boot
process up to the point where the it goes:

INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd klogd.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

and rtepeats this every five minutes. I can go into another screen but I
can't finish the install.
Any clues, guesses or help (in plain english please - I don't understand
much of this linux yet, I haven't got it running!) I just don't know what
to look at.
I've looked through all the readme's and past postings to this list as
well as the FAQ's I can find. No help.

Cheers,
Andrew