ethernet support in 2.2.20-20011202 kernel

Hi,

I have been "tinkering" with debian on my old IIci (120MB HD, 20 MB RAM, farallon ethernet card) and I have
gotten to the stage that it boots fine and I can mount the mac hfs partition and an external zip on the scsi
bus. All fine and good.

However, I don't seem to be able to get ethernet up and running. I put in all the settings for a "local"
network during the installation. If I do "ifconfig", I now see what I think is indicative of functional eth0
(ie it gives the IP address, lots of other stuff and is "up"). However, if I ping the computer from my win95
laptop (connected via a 10baseT crossover cable), I get no response (all packets lost). Likewise in the other
direction.

Both network cards give "green lights" on their leds, indicating a link. Both machines are set to have the
same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and have sequential IP addresses of 192.168.0.1 (debian) and 198.168.0.2
(win95 laptop).

I spent quite a long time trying to figure out how to add the necessary module for the ethernet card, since I
saw that the "alias eth0 ..." line was not in the conf.modules file. I then found out from looking at some
mailing list entries that ethernet drivers are built into the kernel. Is this correct??? Certainly when it
boots I can see a line something like (from memory) "ethernet card in slot D type farallon". I am assuming
that this means debian knows the card is there. What I don't know is whether something else needs to be
configured.

Sorry if this is a really stupid and simple question. I am new to linux and coming from a mac background I am
finding it quite (to put it politely!) hard adjusting. However, I do want to keep at it and get it working
fully, since the eventual aim is to use it as a little web server (if I can get apache running on it).
However, first stage is get networking going.....

Many thanks,

Nick.