Re: clock problems

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 02:11:41PM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:11:13PM -0400, R.A. wrote:
> > I'm having problems with the clock: I'm experiencing an offset of
> > about 5-10 minutes per day. My comp is a Quadra 950 with debian woody
> > (3.0r0). At install time I disabled the hwclock scripts, becouse
> > otherwise it won't boot. Does this has to do with the problem? (it
> > doesn't matter if I leave it on or off). Maybe it's the battery...
> > any ideas?
>
> >From my understanding, the 68k Macs have a habit of losing timer
> interrupts. This causes the clock to lose a lot of time. I just
> run ntpd to keep mine on the right time. Of course, that requires
> a permanent connection via network to something with a more
> stable clock...

	Under potato, with ntpd running, I was seeing "random" lockups (cursor
stops blinking, unable to change Virtual Consoles, etc).
	Under woody, with ntpd running, this seems to happen reliably during
the boot sequence.

	I've turned of ntpd on my IIsi, which seems to have solved the problem
in the "brute force and ignorance" fashion.