Re: PowerBook 540c

Question for the lists: does it make sense to pursue a software floating
point solution as opposed to trapping floating point instructions? My guess
to the answer would be no, as I suspect that 99.9%+ of the code that runs in
Linux (both in the kernel and in userland) does not use floating point, but
if that's wrong, I'd be interested in hearing opposing viewpoints.

Fixing the handling of real FPU instructions would be better. That way
you don't crash stuff if you accidentally run a regular 68k binary on
your box. Although it's not like it kills the whole kernel anyway.

This is a nice idea, but a majority of the LC040s out there are the ones with the more extreme bug where the process' state isn't properly saved. Nothing short of something which generates tons of overhead is going to fix that.

I think you're drastically underestimating where floating point shows
up in regular software. I know things like perl have a tendency to
trigger this bug. X is pretty heavy on the FPU as well. While it would
be possible to recompile everything, it takes long enough to compile
just once. The 68k build boxes for Debian barely keep up as it is.

Floating point is used everywhere. Even common stuff like top uses it.

With NetBSD, we've added softfloat to gcc (thanks, Bruce O'neel), created softfloat OS snapshots for download, plus I have two dedicated m68060 machines doing softfloat binary packages. I am only doing non-X apps at the moment since I can't imagine that people with LC040 systems are going to expect to have a GUI, but the X apps will come soon.

While Debian's resources should obviously stay with the regular m68k builds, I can definitely see that making a kernel and OS snapshot available for broken LC040 systems every now and again would not be hard.

John Klos