Re: creating a linux partition on a mac hard disc, questions about penguin, installer problems

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, not sure how I missed this thread.

> Goal: Install Sarge or Woody on a MacIIci
> Hardware:
> - MacIIci, 32MB RAM, nic (etherlink/nb), graphic card, cache card
> - internal HD with 2 partitions: 1 MacOS-Partition, 1 other which has to
>   be formated for linux
> - connected to a SCSI-Tower including 2 CD drives
> - floppy drive is broken

Floppies aren't supported anyway.

> Software:
> - MacOs 7.5.3 installed. Does not find the CD-drives.
> - Netboot-CDs of m86k Sarge and Woody (both downloaded 18.10.2004)
> - Penguin19. Finds all Hardware (including CD drives).
>   Boot paramters: root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=13000
>   (also tried ramdisk_size=20000)
>   Kernel: vmlinuz-2.2.25-mac
>   inid.rd from /cdrom (marenka files, downloaded 18.10.2004)

Everything sounds fine, except you need initrd22.gz.

> Questions
> 1) Can Linux partitions be created on a hard disc with installed MacOS
> from within MacOS or from Linux/Windows/Basilsik running on another PC?
> I know that the debian installer should give me this option, but I have
> problems to get there.
> The I copy copy all necessary stuff for the base system on the linux
> partition.

If you can't get to the partitioner in linux, I'm not sure you can
complete the installation with d-i.

> 2) What value should the ramdisk_size parameter be in woody and sarge
>  (the mac has 32MB RAM)? Is there a simple way to calculate this?

13000 is the minimum. It cannot be calculated -- it's a build-time
parameter. However, if you look on the ramdisk, you will see a file
entitled ramdisk_settings which contains what the number should be.

20000 will also always work, the setting just sets what the largest
ramdisk can be.

> 3) What initrd should be chosen?

Pretty much cdrom for cdrom-based installs and nativehd for net-based
installs (for macs).

<http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.m68k/index.html>

See chapter 5.

> a) If the install media should be cdrom, then the initrd should be taken
> from the directory called "cdrom"?

Yes.

> b) There are: initrd22.gz, initrd.gz. Which one should be chosen? Why?

initrd22.gz is for 2.2 kernels, initrd.gz is for 2.4 kernels (of which
m68k/macs don't have any working).

> c) What is the use of initrd.list?

Tells what version of what packages are on the ramdisk. It's more about
debugging.

> 4) Strange look in sarge and woody installer.
> The border of text windows of the debian installer looks strange:
> always 2 blocks and one "â"-character, sometimes borders are partly out
> of the screen (photo exists and could be send). Is this OK?

Definitely doesn't sound correct. Point me at the image. I suspect this
is about having the wrong initrd though.

> 5) Problems with sarge and woody loading on both CD drives.
> Penguin runs, asks for language, finds CD-ROMS and tries to load
> installer components.
> sarge: It Aborts after 7% with the following message
> Any idea? I can´t continue, because after pressing "<continue>" a blank
> screen appeared.
> woody: Comes to installer components too and aborts by saying it has
> problems reading the CD.
> Maybe the cdroms are too old for CDRs (I didn´t bought them). On the
> other hand did the installer load other udebs (in sarge) before showing
> a read error.

If you're using CDRs and not CDs, then I wouldn't think you'd have a
problem. I can read a CDR in my stock apple cdrom.

I think this is all related to using initrd.gz, which probably has
undefined behavior with a 2.2 kernel.

If you're not sure, download the nativehd/initrd22.gz ramdisk and use it
right from your mac partition.

> Any idea? Has anyone successfully used the (net) install CDs?
> SCSI-IDs are okay, SCSI-termination should be correct.

Often, I'm pretty sure we've even had a successful installation
on similar hardware to yours.

<stephen@marenka.net>