Re: 2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:30:26PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> In theory, this card is supported by cirrusfb. In practice, I don't know
> whether it will still work. Just try, and it's a good sign Christian just got
> one himself ;-)

So I finally put the PIV into my Amiga2000. In AOS it works pretty well, the
scandoubler just works, so I get the standard amiga video modes on my LCD
monitor. I configured some higher resolution video modes, 1024x768 in 24 bit
looks very nice. 1280x1024 in 24 bit only works in interlace, since my
monitor does not display 45Hz modes. Less colours or lower resolutions do
work, so I stick with 1024x768, which looks astonishingly good on a monitor
with 1280x1024 pixels.

In Linux it does not work that well yet. The scandoubler still works, so I
get a colour picture on my monitor and do not have to use special hardware
like my FBAS to VGA converter anymore! But I could not get any PIV modes to
work yet. I tried 2.4.27 with the clgen driver, the kernel says no supported
hardware detected, I tried 2.6.8, with clgen and cirrusfb as a module,
nothing found either it seems. Do I need other boot options for cirrusfb?
The 2.6.8 kernel-images include only very few video drivers, simply because
they do not compile, a few compile as a module though. Is that intentional?
Probably the kernel would become even larger when more drivers are built in,
but how do I switch to another fbdriver then? I tried fbset in 2.6.8 after
With linux-2.2.25, clgen does not find a supported board either. Since I
heard that Picasso should work at least with 2.2.25, I assume this is a
ZorroII problem again? The board does show up with lszorro, but the kernel
does not detect it?

Christian