Re: emacs status

hi, i just installed emacs21 and xemacs21 (both 21-4) from
stable binaries of debian68k on my quadra630.

emacs21 has a pretty much fatal bug of not being able
to split the window (complains: "...fixed size window") such
as needed when asking for  a help window or command
expansion, pretty basic. (makes me wonder, how the developers
can get any work done...)). also tried as rlogin in xterm,
curiously it starts up Much faster, but same error.

anyway, xemacs does that ok but may have other problems
perhaps less crippling (some wrong codes listed in the help window
above for instance, ...), continuing to test.

tried both versions on my power mac and no such problems, although
hmm... there is a slightly later version there, not yet builting for 68k i see.
... actually xemacs is up to date, and they each have more than
200 bugs on the bug page ...

tried qemacs  on powermac and it crashed with little reason so
i am not so tempted to try it more.

me thinks xemacs having better lisp support anyway, emacs not
so much worth the trouble (again). except for xemacs is not too
fast.

will try mg...

brian

On 9/23/06, Richard Zidlicky <rz@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:38:30PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> it says 21.4 there. that is the mass build a guy made in
> april for mac68k. it is not necessarily tested, but it did build.

ok, that would mean the old problem that I encountered was
fixed or maybe xemacs reintroduced the old lisp engine.

Thanks for loooking at it, I will try to compile a fresh
source on my m68k-linux once I come back in a few weeks.

Richard