Re: gcc 4.5 and TLS

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Wouter Verhelst dixit:
>
> >could we look into re-bootstrapping the port and starting to build
>
> I?m currently building gcc-4.4 and other up-to-date packages. Once I get
> gcc-4.4 to work ... we can ask doko to put the patches into 4.4.
>
> Then we can tackle 4.5 and, after that, eglibc, I think.

Obviously, the sid archive stands much a better chance with the sid
compiler, so there's no rush to build 4.5 if sid is the objective (?)

BTW, you'll need kernel headers with TLS support before you can build libc
with TLS/NPTL, and you need that before you can build gcc with TLS.

This amounts to a circular dependency. When bootstrapping a cross
toolchain, the cycle is broken by building some libc object files early
and by building several compilers. Given a complete cross toolchain, there
are other solutions available.

> ...I'm (still) building natively on ARAnyM, works very fine so far.

The gcc test suite would inspire more confidence, if you haven't run it
already.

Finn