Re: Relocation of Elgar to FU Berlin

On 09-06-13 17:51, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 12:40:05PM +1200, schmitz wrote:
>> Christian had procured IDE to SCSI adapters years ago - not sure
>> these are still available for sale anywhere. That would be about the
>> only option to hook up a large disk via SCSI. (We'd also need to
>> test and debug the SCSI driver, of course).
>
> They are EXPENSIVE... I can't believe that I paid 100EUR per piece.

The reason for that is that the IDE and SCSI protocols are different; so
it's not just a simple wiring interface, the adapter actually has to
translate. If you add extra electronics in between, then obviously that
costs money and the price will be higher.

SATA->SCSI adapters should be cheaper, as they don't need such logic
(SATA really is a SCSI variant). There will probably stil be some logic
in between to read the SCSI command on one interface and rewrite it on
the other (SATA isn't parallel scsi anymore, so there _is_ a
difference), but that logic should be simpler and thus probably not as
expensive. Alternatively, CF->IDE adapters don't need to translate at
all, so if you need IDE I'd suggest doing that. I bought two of those
for about €10 apiece (IIRC) a few years back (they're in use in two
powermacs).

Make sure not to go for CFast, though, since that's SATA, not IDE (and
physically incompatible with CF).

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/