Re: MiNT cross-compiler

Hi,

On 23.5.2023 14.34, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On Tue, 2023-05-23 at 13:07 +0200, Miro Kropáček wrote:
I've been wondering, what happened to all of this? I've seen another
Thorsten email a while later proposing to merge those changes but
looking at https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gcc-4.6 it would seem that
all of this effort is gone? Or is this mint cross compiler accessible
in debian somehow? (except adding Vincent's PPA of course).

It should be available through snapshot.debian.org [1].

However, I think it would be more reasonable to get those patches either
upstreamed into GCC or LLVM which both support the m68k architecture
these days.

Atari MiNT "a.out" format support would also be needed in "binutils".

While there are newer GCC versions for MiNT provided by different individuals, Debian packages remained at v4.x. AFAIK GCC 4.x is used for those because it generates best m68k code when one considers the size of the generated code vs. its performance.

(Choices done for optimizations in non-HW dependent parts of later GCC versions favor more modern CPUs with larger caches and more RAM in general, than typical m68k machines have.)

I.e. newer GCC versions are useful for MiNT mainly due to their support for newer C++ versions.

	- Eero