espeakup firmware x86_64 build 2016-12-11

I used the unofficial build since wifi requires firmware. Network needs work and I am researching command line interface no gui. In that process I found espeakup ran for a very few minutes and then as keystrokes were entered started beeping and effectively locked the computer up. The three-finger-salute wouldn't even reboot the computer once this happened either. This happens in user account as well as root account makes no difference.