Re: LibreFaso - introduction

Hi LibreFaso,

Indeed this is a noble and an interesting project to spread the Libre gospel to developing countries. I just want to highlight some of the
challenges one might run into, although they are not that big.

Talking from my experience here in Zimbabwe, for most blind people, whether students or professionals, their interaction with computers is through Windows. Meaning that their first contact with a computer will likely be via a training centre or a school. These schools run some version of Windows because they think the rest of the world revolves around knowing Windows. In fact, you will be shocked to find that some of their teachers may only think of a computer, and not think about
whether it is Windows or Linux powering that machine.

The point is: the overall goal of a blind person learning to use a
computer here is to participate in the job market or learning
environment with sighted peers. As a result, learning to use a
screenreader like JAWS or NVDA along with running related applications may be the end goal. Once someone is able to do that, then he or she feels that they are competent to participate in the job market with
others.

The appeal of NVDA at first had to do with its cost: it is free to get from the Internet as compared to JAWS which most people will just crack
to use.

So in your mission in Burkina Fasso, I think it may be prudent to bring along the teachers into your LibreFaso Project. Are the teachers or
trainers sold on the idea of Free Software? Do they understand the
difference between proprietary and Open Source platforms? Do they
understand the setbacks with proprietary applications? In my opinion, it is difficult to work with these blind and visually impaired students
unless their instructors and teachers are fully persuaded.

The other major concern I often come across is whether working with a platform like Linux they are able to exchange data with their sighted peers. This is a critical consideration since part of their integration exercises involves exchanging information with friends, workmates and
family members.

The way I do it is that I take advantage of the ignorance of most people in the society around: you can simply give him or her a computer running Linux with a GUI interface. They may not know which operating system is
running, because they often do not care in the first place.

I am just highlighting some of these issues because they have a bearing on the success of your mission. You will find that some issues that bother you there in the West may not matter very much in developing countries. One of these is that of free software versus proprietary. As some of these students' dreams is to work there in the future, they may find the lure of big tech irresistible: for instance, knowing or being certified as a Microsoft engineer makes them more marketable abroad. You will find that whereas privacy concerns may be topical, here they are
not. There are other issues that people  find important.

However, what you are doing is good. For my students, they often
appreciate free software after they are comfortable using it.

I am sorry about your internet woes and the hacking. Most of the time,
we rarely trust local hosting companies, so people often look for
reliable hosts in Western countries such as UK or USA. Cases of banks being taken offline were common at sometime in the past. So in the end,
you had to see even our major ISPs and hosting companies telling
potential customers of their hosting machines being in South Africa,
United Kingdom or United States.

Anyway, be blessed,

Ishe