Re: debian installer accessibility for arm64

Hi Christian,

> On Feb 13, 2023, at 3:50 AM, Christian Schoepplein <chris@schoeppi.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 09:07:14PM -0500, Frank Carmickle wrote:
>> I'm trying to boot the debian installer image for arm64 under the utm
>> wrapped qemu on Macos.
>
> I've just installed Debian this way on a M1 Mac yesterday with braille.

Okay, good! Glad to see there is a way to do this.

>> I've tried different emulated sound devices but the modules are not being
>> loaded for any sound cards.
>
> What do I have todo to test speech based installation where sound is needed?
> As said, I am using braille, for that reason I've never installed a system
> where sound was needed during installation. However, I'd like to test it...

Maybe this is where I'm having trouble. The instructions seem to indicate that it is the same for all architectures. One should be able to press 's' at the boot prompt, given that this should be emulated EFI. Even that doesn't seem to be working, but it's hard to tell as my sighted assistant isn't great about giving me all the information. It seems as though you still can arrow down to the accessibility menu option after having pressed 's'. In either case, after booting many times, I have never been able to get sound running.

This morning I'm going to work on getting a console, either serial or network up and running in to a VM to see if I can do some more poking around without sighted assistance.

I did confirm that booting a x866-4 debian installer does appropriately bring up speech in the installer.

Running lspci does show the different sound devices, I've tried two flavors of hda-intel and ens1370, in the arm64 qemu environment.

> BTW.: I was able to get a amr64 based Debian installed on my M1 Mac with
> UTM and braille support. After installation sound was presend and I was able
> to use Mate out of the box. Also braille was working when the braille device
> was connected to the VM. The only problem is the capslock key which is used
> as screen reader key for Orca and VoiceOver on the Mac. For VoiceOver
> capslock has to be disabled as the screen reader key to not overlap with Orca
> keystrokes when working in the VM. But the bigger problem is, and thats also
> the case with Windows VMs, that capslock on a Mac uses another keyboard
> code and therefore the capslock key is not recognized by the virtual
> machine. There are tools like Karabiner Elements which can remap capslock
> on the Mac to behave like e.g. the insert key in the VM, but I had no
> success to get this working so far, will look in this later.

I'm thinking that I will disable capslock from being capslock in Macos as I never use it, and it just gets in the way.

> If anyone has an idea what needs to be done for remapping capslock to e.g.
> the insert key please let me know. Maybe I can do the remapping in the linux
> VM and Karabiner-Elements is not needed, which would be much better.

I will gladly work on this once I have a working way to use VMs.

> Also I noticed some strange output on my brailledevice during installation
> and the different parts of the installer were somehow not displayed that
> good as using the installer on a normal PC. I'd like also to take another
> look into this issue, because the installer should be as good to use as on
> other architectures.

How did you pass the braille display to the VM?