From: Jason J.G. White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2024 11:38 AM
To: debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Accessibility in Rescue Mode?

On 19/2/24 11:24, Al Puzzuoli wrote:

I’m getting a boot menu, but I’ve tried several sequences of down arrowing through menu options and pressing enter to no avail.  . What’s the easiest way to enter rescue mode with speech at this point?

I would recommend a "live" image such as GRML - details of accessibility features are available on the wiki in that case, but there are other, similar options also.

The procedure is to boot from a USB device into a live image, which will give you a root shell. Then mount the file system of your Linux installation and make whatever changes are necessary. For example, you can run grub-install, upgrade/downgrade kernel packages, or whatever you need to do. Finally, unmount the file system and reboot.

When I reorganized my installation recently, I switched to a BTRFS file system and set up automatic snapshots so that it would be easier to revert to older versions of the file system if an upgrade caused trouble. So far, this hasn't been necessary.

Debian probably supports this too - it might be worth reading around.