Re: gprbuild bug #571013

Stephen Leake writes:
> I've discovered the cause of bug #571013; gprbuild is trying to write a
> file /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gdk.cswi containing compilation
> switches, and it doesn't have write permissions there.
>
> gprbuild 1.3.0 does this correctly; it doesn't try to write the
> switches file for an externally built project. I'm considering
> patching 1.2.0 or just moving up to 1.3.0 (packaged with GNAT GPL
> 2009).
>
> A potential problem with moving to 1.3.0 is that there may be
> differences (subtle or blatant) in the gpr language it implements, as
> opposed to that implemented by gnat-4.4.
>
> I initially started packaging 1.3.0, but gave up because I could not
> use Ludovic's version of libgnatprj and libgnatvsn. However, I ended
> up not using them anyway; the gprbuild sources were released by
> AdaCore using some intermediate version of those packages.
>
> Any opinions?

It is unfortunate that we don't have access to the full history of the
gprbuild sources; with this information we could have found the revision
correcting the bug and backported the change easily.

I share your concern about the gpr language; this is the main reason why
we might want to stick with 1.2.0.  Unfortunately this concern is just
as valid for version 1.2.0 as it is for 1.3.0, so I say go ahead and
upgrade.

--
Ludovic Brenta.